Regain original network topology

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Regain original network topology

Message 1 of 3
(746 Views)

We recently switched from Comcast to Verizon, and the equipment installation was today. I was surprised to see that our network topoligy was changed significantly.

With comcast, we had a router/modem combo with coax in from the pole and an a couple of Ethernet cables running to some computers and a router of our own. We did this in order to have two firewalls between our personal computers with sensitive information on them and the Internet. When the Verizon installation was completed, it appears our router is acting as a bridge for the Verizon router, defeating the purpose of having a second router in place.

What can we do to restore the network topology we originally had?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Regain original network topology

Message 2 of 3
(730 Views)

It appears that the second firewall is intact, but the Verizon router has become the only DHCP server on the network. While I think this is convenient and allows for easier communication with the computer that we couldn't fit on the main network, the IP address range the Verizon router is giving to the Linksys router is kind of messy. Is there a way to change this?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Regain original network topology

Message 3 of 3
(707 Views)

Sure, just revert it back to the way it was.

Presumably your routre is connected to the verizon router via a lan- lan port connection??

Disconnecte your router from the verizon router.  Log onto the admin page of the linksys router and turn on the dhcp server

making sure that it is using a different subnet to the verizon one  i.e. anything other than 192.168 1.  Set the linksys router to have a static address on the verizon sunet e.g. 192.168.1.254

connect a lan port from the verizon router to thw wan port on your linksys router

You should be back where you were, doesn't solve the issue of the machine that youldn't connect before but that can be done by purchasing a cheap switch and adding it to your subnet.

Looking at your picture I assume the tv connection is just for streaming?  If so you could just connect it to the verizon router and take the computer that's connected to the verizon router and connect it to your linksys.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.