Relocating FiOS Quantum Gateway
RevengencerAlf

Last week I moved into a new home and a tech came by to do my installation and setup on Friday.  Unfortunately, he put the quantum gateway in the basement because it was closest to the outside box but as a result it is having to cut through all the walls and floors at some pretty extreme angles to reach the far corners of the house.  5ghz connection is borderline nonexistant on the second floor and the 2.4hz connection has some dead zones as well (and is certainly not something I want to use for my primary PC anyway).  

I want to relocate the modem inside the house proper so I can geta better signal and run a direct cat6 connection to my PC and NAS, but it looks like he has both the coax and the ethernet connections to the outside box hooked up.  I was hoping it could just hook up to one of the interior coax outlets in the house but I'm concerned that I won't be able to get it working without running a full ethernet cable from the outside box all the way upstairs.  

0 Likes
Re: Relocating FiOS Quantum Gateway
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your speed is 100mbps or less you can call Verizon and tell them to change your connection to MOCA and you will be able to use the coax. If its above 100mbps you will need ethernet. 

You can call Verizon and tell them to send someone back out and do the job right and run the ethernet to the 1st floor. But keep in mind Verizon techs are not required to fish walls and ceilings so if your basement is finished you will need to hire an electrician. 

0 Likes