×

Switch Account

Relocating fios router

Relocating fios router

Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-23-2010

Relocating fios router

Message 1 of 8
(5,988 Views)

Currently my verizon fios router is located in the master bedroom.  I would like to relocate it in the living room to have a wired connection to my PS3, DirecTV, and eventually a slingbox.  I have run coaxial to all the bedrooms before and it wasn't hard for me to do.  I have never wired up CAT5 before.   I would rather do it myself then having to pay  a verizon tech to come out.

 

So here is my plan.  Go in the attic and cut the CAT5 going through the wall in the masterbedroom.  Since the living room is closer than the master the length of cable should not be a problem reaching the living room.  Then fish the cable down the wall in the living room behind my tv.  Wiring up a ethernet jack with a leviton CAT5 jack.  Then plug in my verizon router and be done with it. 

 

So that's all that I need to do correct?  Sounds pretty straight forward to me.  If I decide I want verizon to come out, about how much would they charge me for the relocate?  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,869
Registered: ‎09-24-2008

Re: Relocating fios router

Message 2 of 8
(5,971 Views)

 


@graygmc wrote:

So that's all that I need to do correct?  Sounds pretty straight forward to me.


 

That sounds correct to me.

 

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.


 

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,153
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Relocating fios router

Message 3 of 8
(5,960 Views)

@graygmc wrote:

Currently my verizon fios router is located in the master bedroom.  I would like to relocate it in the living room to have a wired connection to my PS3, DirecTV, and eventually a slingbox.  I have run coaxial to all the bedrooms before and it wasn't hard for me to do.  I have never wired up CAT5 before.   I would rather do it myself then having to pay  a verizon tech to come out.

 

So here is my plan.  Go in the attic and cut the CAT5 going through the wall in the masterbedroom.  Since the living room is closer than the master the length of cable should not be a problem reaching the living room.  Then fish the cable down the wall in the living room behind my tv.  Wiring up a ethernet jack with a leviton CAT5 jack.  Then plug in my verizon router and be done with it. 

 

So that's all that I need to do correct?  Sounds pretty straight forward to me.  If I decide I want verizon to come out, about how much would they charge me for the relocate?  Thanks.


 

Presumably the Router is connected via ethernet not Coax???????

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-15-2009

Re: Relocating fios router

Message 4 of 8
(5,940 Views)

No, most Verizon routers are connected via coax (MoCA).

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,153
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Relocating fios router

Message 5 of 8
(5,888 Views)

@ekem015 wrote:

No, most Verizon routers are connected via coax (MoCA).


I am well aware of that fact which is why I posed the question as nowhere in his post did it mention coax but rather specifically cutting cat 5 and pulling and wiring that to a rj45 jack for connection to the router.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he means as from his description it is not clear to me what the current purpose of the cat5 cable is unless it is to connect the router to the ont.

 


@graygmc wrote:

Currently my verizon fios router is located in the master bedroom.  I would like to relocate it in the living room to have a wired connection to my PS3, DirecTV, and eventually a slingbox.  I have run coaxial to all the bedrooms before and it wasn't hard for me to do.  I have never wired up CAT5 before.   I would rather do it myself then having to pay  a verizon tech to come out.

 

So here is my plan.  Go in the attic and cut the CAT5 going through the wall in the masterbedroom.  Since the living room is closer than the master the length of cable should not be a problem reaching the living room.  Then fish the cable down the wall in the living room behind my tv.  Wiring up a ethernet jack with a leviton CAT5 jack.  Then plug in my verizon router and be done with it. 

 

So that's all that I need to do correct?  Sounds pretty straight forward to me.  If I decide I want verizon to come out, about how much would they charge me for the relocate?  Thanks.


Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-23-2010

Re: Relocating fios router

Message 6 of 8
(5,861 Views)

Yes it is connected through ethernet not coax.  Looks like I will be tackling this project this weekend.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Relocating fios router

Message 7 of 8
(5,833 Views)

Ok, you did mention coax there, but apparently unrelated to this particular task.  Am I correct in assuming that the coax you ran before does not supply any STBs with Verizon TV?  If so, no problem.  All you need is the WAN feed from the ONT (Cat 5 or better).  Still, if you wanted to, you could pull a coax (RG-6) down the wall at the same time should you want to get FIOS TV in the future.  The coax terminal on the router is the way your coax network gets its feed for the FIOS Program Guide, Widgets, and VOD (Video on Demand).  The coax feed from the ONT is what supplies your basic TV cable network (splitter and coax wall jacks).

__________________________________________________
It's ok to try to reinvent the wheel, but just make sure it's round.
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,153
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Relocating fios router

Message 8 of 8
(5,728 Views)

@graygmc wrote:

Yes it is connected through ethernet not coax.  Looks like I will be tackling this project this weekend.


 

When you cut the jack make sure you note how it is wired.  There are 2 different ethernet wiring standards and you need to make sure both ends of the cat5 are wired with the same standard.

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.