Relocating router in apartment not successful
bxp-gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there! I have FiOS Gigabit service in my 2BR apt which happens to have ethernet wall socket in all rooms. The FiOS Quantum Gateway router is currently in the living room but I'd like to relocate it to the bedroom which has the PC, Xbox, and TV so I can run wires to all of them.

In one of my closets, there are two cabinets: bottom one for the ONT box from which an ethernet cable goes to the top cabinet (which has a bunch of ethernet inputs) and connects to the input marked as LIVing room. There are similar inputs labeled for the other two rooms.

So, I've tried relocating the router to the bedroom and changing the ONT ethernet connection to go to the corresponding input, however, it does not work! Just for grins, I tried connecting the ONT one to all the other ethernet inputs but none of them worked.

Thoughts? Is there some other setting I need to change to make this work? Thanks in advance.

P.S. And yes, I did plug the ethernet cable to the router and power it on! 🙂

imageONT-to-LivingRoomimageONT-to-LivingRoomimageONT

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Relocating router in apartment not successful
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m not sure what an “IOS” jack is but you are definitely not on MoCA. MoCA is when you connect coax to the router vs ethernet. The ONT only goes up to 100 mbps on coax. That yellow wire is ethernet that is how you are connected. 

If your internet works on the jack in the living room and not in the bedroom then either the wiring is wrong behind the jack, the jack is bad, or the wiring is bad. 

I would just have the tech come out. If you don’t have an ethernet testing meter or tools to fix the jack you will probably spend just as much as the $99 tech visit. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

If you are internet only. Call 1-800-VERIZON and have them switch it from MOCA to ethernet 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is possible that they are either labeled incorrectly or not connected correctly behind the wall jack. 

Try moving router to the bedroom and plug into the wall jack and power on. Once router fully powered up go back to closet and plug the ethernet into each one until you see the link lights on the ONTs ethernet port light up green. 

If that doesn't work open up the jack and make sure the wires are in the right place. If one is off or swapped it won't work. 

0 Likes
bxp-gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the response. Yes, I am internet-only. Before calling them, is it possible to check my account online to tell the difference?

Also, out of curiosity, how does MOCA prevent me from relocating my router?

0 Likes
bxp-gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion. I already tried moving my router to the bedroom and checking if any of the inputs work before posting this topic. I haven't tried the other bedroom; have to wait till later in the night to give it a shot.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCA won’t work since you are gigabit you have to be ethernet not coax. I think the jack is probably wired wrong. 

0 Likes
bxp-gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I chatted online with a Verizon support representative to find out if my setup was MOCA and if it had to be changed to ethernet to allow this switch.

In short, she said that I had to schedule an appointment for a technician ($99) to come over and "activate as many wall jacks" as I want in my premises.  "At the time of activation", the tech "will install a device called IOS at the wall jack."

I requested her to provide more info about this "IOS" thing but she did not do so. She suggested that I could check online; I did so but could not find anything related and told her the same but she said she couldn't provide any more info beyond "In this, the Ethernet cables are placed in a specific way to get the internet connection."

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has had similar experience and knows what this IOS thing is and how it helps.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m not sure what an “IOS” jack is but you are definitely not on MoCA. MoCA is when you connect coax to the router vs ethernet. The ONT only goes up to 100 mbps on coax. That yellow wire is ethernet that is how you are connected. 

If your internet works on the jack in the living room and not in the bedroom then either the wiring is wrong behind the jack, the jack is bad, or the wiring is bad. 

I would just have the tech come out. If you don’t have an ethernet testing meter or tools to fix the jack you will probably spend just as much as the $99 tech visit. 

bxp-gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried the ethernet outlet in my other bedroom too and again, wasn't successful. Hard to believe that out of the outlets in the 3 rooms, only one would work while the other two may have bad outlets and/or wiring.

If I schedule a technician visit to activate additional outlets, does it include them installing/modifying stuff in the aforementioned (pictured) cabinets only, or will they also fix the outlets if necessary?  And are they equipped to remediate if the wiring is bad?

Just wanting to make sure what I can expect to get from a $99 visit.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bxp-gigabit wrote:

I tried the ethernet outlet in my other bedroom too and again, wasn't successful. Hard to believe that out of the outlets in the 3 rooms, only one would work while the other two may have bad outlets and/or wiring.

If I schedule a technician visit to activate additional outlets, does it include them installing/modifying stuff in the aforementioned (pictured) cabinets only, or will they also fix the outlets if necessary?  And are they equipped to remediate if the wiring is bad?

Just wanting to make sure what I can expect to get from a $99 visit.  Thanks!

That will be a very easy job for the tech. It will be as easy a putting in a new jack or putting an end on on the cables in the panel. 

I notice that you have white and blue ethernet wiring. White are for phone and blue are data. Sometimes builders will use RJ45 jacks instead of RJ11 jacks. It might be possible that the jack you plugging into is one of the white wires. 

Also wiring ethernet there are two wiring standards( a and b). If a on one side and b on other you won’t get a connection from the ONT. 

So to answer your questions yes they will fix the jack. As far as the wiring in the wall you will have to go back to your landlord to hire an electrician. I seriously doubt that the wiring is bad though. I wouldn’t worry about that. I’m thinking probably the jack or wire configuration.