Remote Access Speed Problem
unibass

Greetings,

I've been trying to setup a SSH tunnel with a server at home.  It is a laptop XP system fully patched with a minimal set of services running.  When I use the tunnel, I get horrible speeds (800kbs/500).  So I setup remote desktop access to try and diagnose the problem.  When I am hope and I use www.speedtest.net, I get acceptable bandwidth reports (15Mpbs/1.5Mbps).  When I remote into the machine from another location, I get the horrible speeds again.  This doesn't make sense to me since I am only watching screen shots.

The Firewall has one rule setup to allow ports 3369 and 22 to this machine.  I have rebooted the firewall and the ONT and nothing changes.  I just don't understand why the bandwidth decreases so much when I run SSH (I expect some decrease due to encryption) or remote access (it's screen shots).  

All speed tests are done using www.speedtest.net with the LA server selected.

Any ideas?

Michael 

0 Likes
Re: Remote Access Speed Problem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
I can not and will not comment on the tunnel...

For the remote access "screenshots" (remote desktop access), as you call them...

What you are seeing is, what is happening in real time.

--

Maybe and maybe not that is perfectly normal..

Does this happen only on this computer and with this type of Internet connection? This question can apply to both the tunnel and the remote desktop access.

If you do not know, test it and find out...
0 Likes
unibass

I'm not sure why you took the time to 'comment' on non-commenting.  I'm encrypting some IM traffic so there is no problems with the tunnel.  

The remote access is pretty difficult to diagnose.  As I tried to say before, if I am at the keyboard, then the speed tests are consistently high.  If I RDP in (not over SSH, but over the standard RDP port) from another location they are horribly low.  I'm not sure if this is indicative of a problem with the NAT on the Actiontec router.  It is very consistent and reproducible.  Since RDP just pushes screenshots, it makes sense that it's not the machine.

I downloaded the Verizon installer and ran the Java based speed tests and it reports very healthy results during and RDP session.  I don't know if where the speed test ends (e.g. a server on Verizon's internal network or some external source such as speedtest.net).  If it is the former, then there is a stronger case for some issue with the Actiontec and the NAT/throughput to the same internal IP address.  

This is the only computer that I remote into.  I stopped chasing the 'ssh tunnel' speed since I believe the two are inter-related.  Other than different source/destination TCP ports, the results are the same.  I have moved the machine to the 'DMZ host' to elimate the firewall rules as a suspect. Unfortunately, the speed issues are the same.

That all being said, I am suspect about the 'what is happening in real time' since I'm getting two VASTLY different speed results with two different tools.

I have run a lot of tests here, thank you.  

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok..

I now know what is going on and what to do about it.

#1 The Verizon Actiontec router has a small routing table.

#2 So, see as need be:

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

Good luck.

Please tell me (and other the users on this board) how it goes.
0 Likes