Remote Desktop Connection stopped working
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

I made a change to my Verizon TV and Internet package, downgrading from Ultimate HD to Extreme HD and from 35/35 to 25/25.  This morning, when I ran a speed test it showed the new speed.  I went out for a few hours, and when I returned, my internet connection was not working at all.

I called Verizon's support number and, after talking to two different people, one who wanted to swap out my router, and one who wanted to send a tech to check out my ONT, they finally figured out the problem was with their configuration, not any of the hardware in my house, and got me running again at the correct speed.

During the trouble shooting process, they had me do multiple soft and hard reboots of my router, they remotely rebooted it, and had me push the recessed reset button once, restoring it to factory defaults.  This led to problems with my wireless devices, so I loaded a configuration file to the router that I had thankfully saved some time prior to this problem, and everything seemed to be working properly.

Then, I tried to open a remote desktop connection from one of my machines to another one, both on my internal home network, a connection that had worked flawlessly up until now, and it would not work.  Moreover, trying to ping the "remote" machine from the one trying to initiate the connection gets no reply, but pings are replied to in the other direction.  And, both machines can see and access each other's shared folders and files, and both can see each other in the network map in the networking and sharing control panel app.

I never made any configuration changes to either machine during the trouble shooting process, but to be sure, I used system restore on both machines and took them back to restore points made yesterday, when everything was working.

I am at a loss to understand what has gone wrong, and would appreciate any constructive and helpful suggestions as to how to remedy this situation.

ps

I am running two different web servers on the target machine, and am running stunnel on it to provide secure nntp connections to a news client that doesn't have that capability built in, and none of these servers are available from other machines.  Nothing seems to be getting through to the target pc except windows network sharing! 

0 Likes
Re: Remote Desktop Connection stopped working
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router go to Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play OR to Advacned -> UPnP (what ever exist in your router).

#2 If you do not have at least two special computers that support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off UPnP.

A perfect example. At least two game consoles. Any two (Two Xboxes, two Playstations, One Xbox and one Playstation).

#3 If you have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use....

Do you only use one at time or are there times when at least two are on?

#4 In the router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution Or to Advanced -> Private LAN

#5 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address, that is listed in there?

0 Likes
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 In the router go to Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play OR to Advacned -> UPnP (what ever exist in your router).

#2 If you do not have at least two special computers that support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off UPnP.

A perfect example. At least two game consoles. Any two (Two Xboxes, two Playstations, One Xbox and one Playstation).

#3 If you have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use....

Do you only use one at time or are there times when at least two are on?

#4 In the router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution Or to Advanced -> Private LAN

#5 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address, that is listed in there?

We have two Xboxes and a Logitech Revue.  I have Windows Media Sharing enabled on three computers, and am also running a beta of Logitech Media Server on one.   It is possible that there are times when two or more streaming clients are in operation, but that is a very rare occasion.  Two of the computers, the ones I mention in my original post, are on almost continuously.

In Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play, both Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features and Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services are checked, and WAN Connection Publication: is set to Publish Only the Main WAN Connection.

In Advanced -> IP Address Distribution, under Dynamic IP Range it says192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254.  However, in Advanced -> IP Address Distribution -> Connection List I have set all the lease types to Static, because I was having problems using the Verizon web page to access my set top boxes, particularly the MRDVR.  The Static IP addresses for the computers, game consoles, Bluray player etc. are in the range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.12, and the set top boxes are at 192.168.1.100 & 192.168.1.101.

One thing I did not mention in my original post is that I have two unmanaged gigabit ethernet switches in my home network.  There are two computers, the ones I mention in my original post, and the Logitech Revue plugged into one switch.  That switch plugs into another switch which also has one pc, an Xbox, and a Bluray player plugged into it, and that switch then plugs into one of the ports on my Verizon supplied Actiontec MI424-WR Rev C, firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4.  All of the other ethernet ports on the router are unused.  In addition, we have a laptop, a notebook, another Xbox, and a Wii that connect through the Actiontec's wireless.

I don't know if media streaming is still working and I don't really care if it is because we use it so seldomly.  It never worked consistently or to our satisfaction.  When we want to watch or listen to media from one computer on another, we copy it over the network from shared folders.  We have a Homegroup, to which all of the computers belong.  If we want to watch or listen to media on one of the game consoles, we copy it to a flash drive.  The Bluray player is only connected to the network for firmware updates and for discs with network enabled content.

This same setup was operating before the problem developed, and I can't figure out what has changed to create the problem.  The router configuration file that I am using is from June of 2011, and I'm pretty sure that everything was working fine then, and don't recall making any changes to the router's configuration since then.

0 Likes
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

And now it's working again, for no apparent reason.  I made no changes to any of the computers or to the router, but now remote desktop, the web servers, and stunnel can now be reached on the target machine.  Could the router have "forgotten" something when it was reset, that it has now "relearned"?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Current setting..

@ronzie wrote:
WAN Connection Publication: is set to Publish Only the Main WAN Connection.

#2 What other settings are in there, for the WAN Connetion Publication?

#3 Since you said have the MRDVR, I have reason to believe that you have FIOS TV.

Is that correct OR do you have your own MRDVR (not powered/provided by Verizon) ?

#4 How is this computer connected to the router? You listed wired and wireless devices in your post.

0 Likes