Remote Desktop Setup Using Westell 9100EM for Verizon Fios Part 1
HellFire999

Remote Desktop is the client-side component of Microsoft Windows Terminal Services, which in turn, is a Microsoft thin-client technology that allows a user or an administrator to log on to a Windows system remotely in a so-called “virtual session.” This virtual session is conducted using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) over Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) port 3389. What’s cool about Remote Desktop sessions is that they can be conducted over a variety of network connections, including LAN, T-1, frame-relay, dial-up, VPN, DSL or cable modem. It should be noted that Windows XP Home Edition does not support the Remote Desktop service.

During a virtual session, only mouse commands and keystrokes are passed from the remote computer to the host computer. The host computer, in turn, transmits a graphical view of its entire Windows Desktop to the remotely connected user. You can remotely access just about anything from the host computer: audio, physical ports, printers and so forth.

In order for a Windows XP Professional computer to be managed remotely using Remote Desktop, several prerequisites must be met. First, the “Allow users to connect remotely to this computer” option must be selected on the “Remote” tab of the System Control Panel program. Second, the remote user must either be a member of either the workstation’s local Administrators or its Remote Desktop Users group. Third, if a firewall is used on the computer, the firewall must be configured to allow incoming connections on TCP port 3389.

And also you will need to assign a Static IP to your Network connection as follows:

Go to your network connections and right click scroll down and left click properties then look for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and highlight it then click on the properties right below it on your right side and in this pop up box you will need to place a bullet into Use the following IP Address example below:

IP Address: 192.168.XX,{ which is the IP that your router assigned to you pc, you can obtain this by going to Start, Run, Type in CMD and hit enter then in command prompt type in “ ipconfig “ and write that down 

IP.Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0  { when you click in here it will auto populate }

Then you will place a bullet into Use the following DNS server addresses and type in this below due to Verizon and the Westell router you will not be able to find the DNS server 1 or 2 so this is a generic DNS that works.

Preferred DNS server: 4.2.2.1

Alternate DNS server 4.2.2.2

and click ok to all.

SEE PART 2 to complete settings.

0 Likes
Re: Remote Desktop Setup Using Westell 9100EM for Verizon Fios Part 1
nedrac1

Please email me part 2.

Thanks

{edited for privacy}

Please use the PM feature for contact.  Thank You

Message Edited by KaLin on 03-27-2009 03:16 PM
0 Likes
nedrac
PM is not enabled
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
If you click on his name there should be an option to send a private message.
0 Likes
HellFire999
Send me your email addy For it is a Word Doc I will send you.
0 Likes
Eric072670

Hello

Could you please send me the document of Remote Desktop Setup Using Westell 9100EM for Verizon Fios Part 2

0 Likes
Eric072670

my email is {edited for privacy} for the Remote Desktop Setup Using Westell 9100EM for Verizon Fios Part 2

thanks

Please use the forum PM function.

Message Edited by KaLin on 04-04-2009 12:01 PM
0 Likes
HellFire999
http://rapidshare.com/files/221108141/Remote_Desktop.docx.html
0 Likes
bigdog1fl

Can you please emial me the word document.  I have spent 10 hours trying to get remote connect to work with this router.

I am hoping your document will help.

I figured out how to send you a PM with my email address.

Message Edited by bigdog1fl on 07-08-2009 10:36 PM
0 Likes