Remote desktop not working with quantum router
BradDMiller

I tried everything to get rdp to route through my new quantum router with no luck. 

My old action tech still works so it's obviously not my internal setup. Verizon says they don't support it so I'm on my own. Not sure where to go for help. 

I'm fairly familiar with port forwarding and have set it up on many different routers. 

I guess the router itself could be defective. 

I could also configure the quantum router inside my firewall so it doesn't have to do any routing at all. 

Any ideas. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remote desktop not working with quantum router
Moe1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a problem with remote desktop login while hardwired to the router.  It worked fine while in wireless mode.  My problem was with DNS lookup.  While hardwired the router was forcing its own DNS look-up and coming up with a bogus IP addess that was NOT the IP address of the remote computer.  I tested it with pinging the remote computer while in (1) hardwired mode and then (2) while in wireless mode.  Different IP addresses were returned for (1) and (2).  I had to shut down the DNS server of the router.

Steps:

1. connect to the router via webpage

2. go to My Network > Network Connections

3. Select Broadband connection (ethernet/coax) by clicking "Edit" action

4. Click Setting on the bottom of the page

5. Scroll to DNS Server line item and select "No DNS server" from the pulldown menu

6. Apply settings

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Moe1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a problem with remote desktop login while hardwired to the router.  It worked fine while in wireless mode.  My problem was with DNS lookup.  While hardwired the router was forcing its own DNS look-up and coming up with a bogus IP addess that was NOT the IP address of the remote computer.  I tested it with pinging the remote computer while in (1) hardwired mode and then (2) while in wireless mode.  Different IP addresses were returned for (1) and (2).  I had to shut down the DNS server of the router.

Steps:

1. connect to the router via webpage

2. go to My Network > Network Connections

3. Select Broadband connection (ethernet/coax) by clicking "Edit" action

4. Click Setting on the bottom of the page

5. Scroll to DNS Server line item and select "No DNS server" from the pulldown menu

6. Apply settings

0 Likes
se_7_en

Hi,

Just curious if you have checked the logs in the router (I don't use the qunatum router so not sure if you need to enable verborse logging or if you even have access to the logs) after trying to access the RDP from external network. We may be able to help you better if we have more information. 

Thank you.

0 Likes
se_7_en

Hmmm... I am not sure if the DNS is the reason unless the router requires to resolve and address. In his case, he is trying to NAT an external address to an Internal address. This seems to be security/configuration issues.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes