Removing WEP, WAP, WAP2 and everything else from Router
andrew76092
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi - 

Wondering if anyone could guide me through the process on removing security from my router.  I have the latest and greatest M1424 (with the 2 non-working USB's).  

I'm familiar with how to access my router from my Mac and when looking there, I only see 3 options for security...nothing to leave it open.  Is there a special area that I am not seeing in order for me to make this change?

The end result is that I would like to strip the security off it and allow full access to anyone that can pull my signal.  

Thanks in advance....Andrew

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Removing WEP, WAP, WAP2 and everything else from Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The option for No Security should be found in the Basic Wireless options, by setting it to None or "No Security." Is there a specific reason why you're looking to unlock your network?

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The option for No Security should be found in the Basic Wireless options, by setting it to None or "No Security." Is there a specific reason why you're looking to unlock your network?

andrew76092
Enthusiast - Level 1

That solved my issue. Basically, I had to switch to the lowest level of security (WEP), then it allowed me to remove the security. 

To answer your question of why I wanted to remove the security:  I want to leave it open for family and friends that come over and wish to have access, but I don't want to walk them through adding it with the password each and every time. 

Thank you. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@andrew76092 wrote:

... why I wanted to remove the security ... I want to leave it open for family and friends that come over and wish to have access, but I don't want to walk them through adding it with the password each and every time ...  

This makes it easier for family and friends, but also easier for unwanted users who can see your SSID and note your unprotected status.  If my experience is any guide, there will be at least a few unwanted visitors.

One possibility is to disable SSID broadcast but still allow unrestricted access by telling your guests the name of your wireless network.  For simplicity you could, for example, just name it something like "guests."  In any case there is a potential downside to open access that you would be well advised to take into account.

0 Likes
andrew76092
Enthusiast - Level 1

Armond - makes sense...and a better way of doing this.  Thanks for the tip - I will do just that.  Thanks from Texas!

AP

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I'd like to live near you. Free internet! Oh, Boy

0 Likes