Renovation with new coax locations
Bozack90

Hello,

I recently had a rennovation on my house which resulted in 4 new coax locations, the electrician was going to use screw on coax connectors but I decided to have him leave them off as I would prefer compression.

I called verizon and they said I can either pay $99 for a tech visit, or $15/mo for 3 months for their tech premium plus plan which would include a service visit

I was wondering if anyone has done this and or if I am better off just buying the tools and installing my own connectors?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Renovation with new coax locations
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Really depends on your comfort. Coax isn't too difficult to terminate. Just like a CAT5e cable.

0 Likes
Bozack90

Thanks, I terminate my Cat5 with keystones so those are pretty simple, my bigger issue was buying the compression tool and then the connectors seems like it might be worth it, but who knows.

The electrician again was going to use screw on which seemed less than ideal.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was on a job site before and realized I forgot my coax compression tool so I went to home depot and got a cheap Klein one with coax stripper. Was less than 30 bucks. Its actually pretty good  and its adjustable so you can use it with any brand of connectors. 

0 Likes
Bozack90

Thanks I was thinking of getting the Klein tool and using ideal compression connectors, though some say the ideal connectors don't work right with the klein tool, I saw they also sell tool less compression fittings but wonder how well those actually work

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Belden PPC connectors are good. 

0 Likes