Rent-to-own router
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I may be in the wrong area to ask this question. I may be told to contact billing. I may have to call billing & ask. But I'll give it a shot.

I know that I have 2 options regarding the router. I can rent it or I can buy it. I wonder if there is a 3rd option. I wonder if I can make monthly payments on it until I own it - say, $20/month for 10 months. If I own the FIOS router & have a problem with it can I still get tech support?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Rent-to-own router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does not have a rent to own policy.

You either purchase a router on your own or rent from Verizon.

If you purchase a Verizon router, they will provide tech support for it.

And will provide warranty service.

But if you purchase another brand of router, they will not provide any support.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

You either rent it $12x12 months equals $144.00 a year.

purchase it for $199 and have a two year warranty on it. Verizon has been known to swapthem out even when past that time limit. But beware, it may kick in the rental fee after 24 months.

if you are internet only you can purchase your own router like a Netgear or asus and verizon cannot charge you nothing. However tech support will not service your router only up to the ONT.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

But beware, it may kick in the rental fee after 24 months.

Why would Verizon charge me a rental fee if I own the router?

It makes sense that I wouldn't get tech support from Verizon on a router that I own.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jonjones wrote:

You either rent it $12x12 months equals $144.00 a year.

purchase it for $199 and have a two year warranty on it. Verizon has been known to swapthem out even when past that time limit. But beware, it may kick in the rental fee after 24 months.

if you are internet only you can purchase your own router like a Netgear or asus and verizon cannot charge you nothing. However tech support will not service your router only up to the ONT.

When you own the router there are no rental fees. If you need verizon at a later date to swap it out (it comes with a 24 month warranty) they will then consider you as renting their property, so that was what i warning you about.

do a google search on “verizon charging rental fees on a router i own” or “verizon thinks my bought router is theirs and charging me for it” and many other combinations.

there are quite a few complaints regarding this issue.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does not have a rent to own policy.

You either purchase a router on your own or rent from Verizon.

If you purchase a Verizon router, they will provide tech support for it.

And will provide warranty service.

But if you purchase another brand of router, they will not provide any support.