Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Replace Actiontec Router with a new Linksys N GigE router

SOLVED
irwing
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Replace Actiontec Router with a new Linksys N GigE router

Message 1 of 5
(6,327 Views)

On my FiOS service I only purchase phone and internet. My internet connection is via a Ethernet jack into the ONT.

I have read in other posts you can release the IP address, unplug for 2 hours, then plug in a new router.

Can you plug in a non actiontech router?

I have tried a release and them immediately use a Linksys with the MAC address clones to my Actiontech but could not get a IP address from the FiOS DNS. Somehow the DHCP server only wants to give out addressed to Actiontech routers.

I dod notice the Actiontech routers do have TR69 whcih no other routers support, I was thinking perhaps that was the reason.

Has anyone been able to swap out the Actiontech?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Replace Actiontec Router with a new Linksys N GigE router

Message 2 of 5
(6,293 Views)

@irwing wrote:

It's done all the time. 

Since you have a cat5 connection to the ONT and do not have FIOS-TV, you should not have a problem.  When you release the DHCP lease on the Actiontec, you need to immediately disconnect it or it will acquire a new DHCP lease, which will prevent you from switching routers.  If releasing the DHCP lease and disconnecting immediately does not work, power off the Actiontec for at least two hours, then connect your Linksys.  THe DHCP lease will have expired.  There is no need to clone the MAC address.  If that fails, call the FSC and ask them to break your DHCP lease.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 2 of 5
(6,294 Views)

@irwing wrote:

It's done all the time. 

Since you have a cat5 connection to the ONT and do not have FIOS-TV, you should not have a problem.  When you release the DHCP lease on the Actiontec, you need to immediately disconnect it or it will acquire a new DHCP lease, which will prevent you from switching routers.  If releasing the DHCP lease and disconnecting immediately does not work, power off the Actiontec for at least two hours, then connect your Linksys.  THe DHCP lease will have expired.  There is no need to clone the MAC address.  If that fails, call the FSC and ask them to break your DHCP lease.

View solution in original post

irwing
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(6,187 Views)

Thanks

Worked fine

rkb
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(4,015 Views)

Is it possible to Replace the Actiontec Router with a Linksys N Gig when the subscriber has all three services, e.g. phone/net/tv?

Has anyone been successful?

Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 5 of 5
(4,004 Views)

@rkb wrote:

Is it possible to Replace the Actiontec Router with a Linksys N Gig when the subscriber has all three services, e.g. phone/net/tv?

Has anyone been successful?

You can not completely replace the Actiontec.  The Actiontec is needed to act as a MOCA LAN bridge for the STBs.

There are a number of ways to still use your own router with FIOS.

See the following FAQ:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.