Replace Actiontec Router with a new Linksys N GigE router
irwing
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my FiOS service I only purchase phone and internet. My internet connection is via a Ethernet jack into the ONT.

I have read in other posts you can release the IP address, unplug for 2 hours, then plug in a new router.

Can you plug in a non actiontech router?

I have tried a release and them immediately use a Linksys with the MAC address clones to my Actiontech but could not get a IP address from the FiOS DNS. Somehow the DHCP server only wants to give out addressed to Actiontech routers.

I dod notice the Actiontech routers do have TR69 whcih no other routers support, I was thinking perhaps that was the reason.

Has anyone been able to swap out the Actiontech?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replace Actiontec Router with a new Linksys N GigE router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@irwing wrote:

It's done all the time. 

Since you have a cat5 connection to the ONT and do not have FIOS-TV, you should not have a problem.  When you release the DHCP lease on the Actiontec, you need to immediately disconnect it or it will acquire a new DHCP lease, which will prevent you from switching routers.  If releasing the DHCP lease and disconnecting immediately does not work, power off the Actiontec for at least two hours, then connect your Linksys.  THe DHCP lease will have expired.  There is no need to clone the MAC address.  If that fails, call the FSC and ask them to break your DHCP lease.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@irwing wrote:

It's done all the time. 

Since you have a cat5 connection to the ONT and do not have FIOS-TV, you should not have a problem.  When you release the DHCP lease on the Actiontec, you need to immediately disconnect it or it will acquire a new DHCP lease, which will prevent you from switching routers.  If releasing the DHCP lease and disconnecting immediately does not work, power off the Actiontec for at least two hours, then connect your Linksys.  THe DHCP lease will have expired.  There is no need to clone the MAC address.  If that fails, call the FSC and ask them to break your DHCP lease.

irwing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks

Worked fine

rkb5
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is it possible to Replace the Actiontec Router with a Linksys N Gig when the subscriber has all three services, e.g. phone/net/tv?

Has anyone been successful?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@rkb wrote:

Is it possible to Replace the Actiontec Router with a Linksys N Gig when the subscriber has all three services, e.g. phone/net/tv?

Has anyone been successful?

You can not completely replace the Actiontec.  The Actiontec is needed to act as a MOCA LAN bridge for the STBs.

There are a number of ways to still use your own router with FIOS.

See the following FAQ:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

0 Likes