Replace Actiontec router with Asus
mrrd

I've read many messages on how to replace an Actiontec with another router by making the Actiontec a bridge or enabling the ethernet port. I have the triple play bundle and added a DVR. Don't order on-demand pay per view but do use the DVR as I get home late. I want to use my Asus router as the primary but I have a different approach. Since I have Cat5 in the house, I want to connect the Asus to my network using a moca adapter (netgear or dlink etc)connected to the ONT. Does anyone have any thoughts on adding a splitter to the ONT coax with one going to the Asus and the other to the moca adapter to the Asus and to retain the DVR functions? It would require releasing the IP on the Actiontec and connecting the Asus to pickup an IP address. Any thoughts would be helpful as this would be a cleaner solution than changing the Actiontec to a bridge in case I want to restore the Actiontec later and giving me the full use of the Asus.  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replace Actiontec router with Asus
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not exactly clear what your trying to do.  Are you trying to connect your ASUS's WAN port to the ONT using coax?  If so, that's not possible.

The ONT's MoCA WAN connection uses different channels and encryption than the MoCA LAN connection.  You can find MoCA LAN to Ethernet devices that will work fine in a Verizon network, but MoCA WAN bridges are pretty much impossible to find.  Except for an Actiontec in bridge mode, that is.

If you can run Ethernet from your ONT to your router, you'll be much happier.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MercerNick65
Contributor - Level 1

Read this carefully ...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
mrrd
Thanks mercernick. Have read this page but hoping for different solution.
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not exactly clear what your trying to do.  Are you trying to connect your ASUS's WAN port to the ONT using coax?  If so, that's not possible.

The ONT's MoCA WAN connection uses different channels and encryption than the MoCA LAN connection.  You can find MoCA LAN to Ethernet devices that will work fine in a Verizon network, but MoCA WAN bridges are pretty much impossible to find.  Except for an Actiontec in bridge mode, that is.

If you can run Ethernet from your ONT to your router, you'll be much happier.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
mrrd

Sorry, i may not have been clear. But I see a flaw in my thinking and have to can the whole idea.  Thanks for the response gs0b.

0 Likes