Replace Actiontec router with Linksys EA7500 (Fios)
Hill16
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a Linksys EA7500 to replace my failing Actiontec MI424WR

and am having issues setting it up. I have followed the directions several times without any luck and have tried with 3 different routers.

(I am releasing the DNS lease and immediately pulling power and network)

The ONT (SFH ONT 615) is set up for Ethernet, I only have a network cable attached to the Actiontec now.

It does not seem like the new router is getting DNS/IP, it just sits there with no activity lights once powered up.

I have waited over 2 hours also.

Is it possible that the ONT is not set up correctly? is there a way to test this (I have tried 3 different routers and different cables). Is this older ONT able to handle this set up?

It should be simple but I'm stuck, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replace Actiontec router with Linksys EA7500 (Fios)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you take the router to the ONT and connect with a jumper? Tellabs ONTs can work with only two pairs of the ethernet. That might be why the Actiontec is working. Can you change the Linksys WAN port to 100 Half-Duplex?

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the router is connected do the Link light on the ONT go on?

Hill16
Enthusiast - Level 2

no.image

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you take the router to the ONT and connect with a jumper? Tellabs ONTs can work with only two pairs of the ethernet. That might be why the Actiontec is working. Can you change the Linksys WAN port to 100 Half-Duplex?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like the ONT's link light ("Ethernet") is on.  Is the router's WAN link light on, too?

The Actiontec rev-I (red band) is a gigabit router and uses all four pairs.  If it's working with the Actiontec, it should work with any router.

Edg1's suggestion to test with another cable is a great idea.  Sometimes cables cause weird problems.

Good Luck.

Hill16
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good point with the 2 wire, I will test that tomorrow. but if the ONT can only work with 2 pair will 4 pair make a difference?

I haven't been able to find a way to change the Linksys WAN port to 100 half, but still looking.

Would both be needed? (4 pair and 100 half)

Thanks.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Link speed determines how many pairs are used.  10/100Mbps uses two pairs.  1000Mbps uses four pairs.  It's that simple.

The older ONTs are 100Mbps max, so they only use two pairs.  The router's PHY should detect the link type automatically.  If the router has a 10/100/1000Mbps WAN port, it's link light should show status.  Sometimes they are different colors for the different speeds.  Check your router's documentation and see what the lights are telling you.  There may also be a screen on the router's web interface that tells you the connection status.

Good Luck.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ethernet light is green then the ONT is seeing your router. It just seems that it not getting an IP address. Did you try hard resetting the Linksys and going through the setup again?

Hill16
Enthusiast - Level 2

The ethernet light was flashing when i took the picture.. caught it when it was green.

Hill16
Enthusiast - Level 2

So it looks like the ONT ethernet port is going bad, while I was testing by directly connecting the router to the port it worked for about 5 minutes then died. I reattached the cable and eventually it worked again but also went bad a few minutes later. I did check the old cable and it is 4 pair. I hooked everything back up and got it to work again by playing with the ONT ethernet connection, we will see for how long.

(so it was probably not the router in the first place)

Will Verizon trouble shoot the port/ONT free of charge or do I have to wait for it to completely die?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on here.