Re: Replace Backup Battery
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@Justin wrote:

77Blackhawk,

Before you buy a battery from Verizon for $46 plus shipping, you might want to check at some local stores,

Hmmm, TimSykes posted earlier that Verizon would replace it, no charge.  True or not?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

zooky wrote:

Hmmm, TimSykes posted earlier that Verizon would replace it, no charge.  True or not?

Notice that the date of that post is a few months old. My understanding from Techman28 is that Verizon has gone back and forth over the last 2 years on how long the battery is warranted - months, a year, unlimited, etc. From the last post I saw from him Verizon has gone back to 1 year.

I will see if I can definitively find out what the current status is.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
77Blackhawk
Spoke with Verizon technician yesterday morning who was very precise in stating that the warranty covered by Verizon covered only the first year of service afterwhich it was the customer's reponsibility.  I challenged the statement several times and was referred to RadioShak or Verizon Cancellations:  whichever I preferred.
0 Likes
77Blackhawk
I was able to get one at Radio Shack this morning for just under $40.00 (with tax).  Not happy about it but what can you do?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Well, at least that is cheaper than getting it from Verizon, right? Smiley Very Happy

I hope you took the old battery with you to make sure the one you bought had the same connectors and dimensions so it will fit in the Verizon box.

I have asked Techman28 to give us an update on Verizon's current policy regarding the warranty on the battery. I haven't heard anything so far, he may not be working today or something,  but I hope he will post here so we will all know.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
77Blackhawk
thanks
0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@77Blackhawk wrote:
thanks

I concur with the"thanks".  Right now this whole thing looks like a black hole, with Radio Shak being at the other end, hehe.

0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

Aside from whether (or not) Verizon will replace the battery  --after whatever period of time or at what cost-- you should definitely contact Verizon about getting the unit moved from your attic.  Batteries do not do well in extreme temperatures --especially sealed lead/acid valve regulated batteries (the type used by Verizon for this application.

At the very least, high temperatures experienced in an attic will shorten the battery life; at the worst, high temperatures could cause the battery to fail catastrophically.

0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@kvelling wrote:

Aside from whether (or not) Verizon will replace the battery  --after whatever period of time or at what cost-- you should definitely contact Verizon about getting the unit moved from your attic.  Batteries do not do well in extreme temperatures --especially sealed lead/acid valve regulated batteries (the type used by Verizon for this application.

At the very least, high temperatures experienced in an attic will shorten the battery life; at the worst, high temperatures could cause the battery to fail catastrophically.

Hmmm, will do.  The installer put it in the attic, on the west-facing wall.  I have a brick house so that will REALLY hold high heat!!!!!

0 Likes