Replace battery backup
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I while back I had the ONT replaced because of pixelation issues on the TV. It's the black box. The previous box was white. It has a D-cell battery backup. I liked the lead-acid backup. I see no way to test the batteries other than checking each one. Do I have the option of replacing the D-cell backup with the lead-acid backup? If so, can I do it myself or does a tech have to do it? How much is the lead-acid backup?

0 Likes
Re: Replace battery backup
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Verizon has gone away from the 12v lead acid bbu to the D cell one you have. 

You could get a APC UPS surge protector for your ONT to back up and it will take the same 12 volt lead acid battery. 

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

So, Verizon, in its infinite wisdom, decided to do away with the lead-acid battery!?

You know Murphy's Law. When there's a power failure,  the D cells are dead.

I do have a UPS into which my computer & monitor are plugged. How do I hook up my UPS to the ONT? Is it something that I can do myself or do I need to pay a Verizon tech to do it? Do I need any special tools to hook up the ONT to a UPS? I've tried to open the cover. The top moves back & forth but I can't get the cover open when I pull on the latches on the side. I don't want to break it.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unplug ONT power supply from the wall and plug it in to your UPS.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Well, it's that simple!

There's such a rat's nest of wall-warts under my table, I'll have to figure out what is what.

I have one UPS & one surge protector under the table. The UPS has surge-only & battery backup. There are a limited number of plugs on the UPS for battery backup. The ONT would have to be pluuged into the battery backup.

So, once I plug the ONT into my UPS, I can return the battery backup to Verizon, correct?

Will the ONT audibly complain when I unplug the power? Will I have to reset the ONT?

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Will the ONT audibly complain when I unplug the power? Will I have to reset the ONT?

I have the black ONT. I tried to open the door by pulling on the latches. I want to open the door so that I can disconnect the battery pack. I can't get the door open. I'm afraid that I'll break something. How do I open the door?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it will still beep if the battery is dying or dead. It will also beep if missing (depending on the model bbu you have). 

There is nothing to be done in the ONT.  The best bet is to call Verizon and tell them you don’t want the battery and more and would like to upgrade your power supply to the new power adapter without the battery. There is not charge for this since it is on Vz side of demarc. 

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Wait, I'm confused!

There's a new power adapter without the battery? How does that work? I don't need to plug the ONT into my UPS?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

So your current configuration is ONT>BBU>Power supply. When everything is working properly the power supply powers up the ONT. If you loose power the BBU kick in and the 12V lead acid battery will power the ONT for up to 8 hours. Now when your 12V battery is dead, dying, or not in the BBU it will beep to let you know. 

The newer configuration is ONT>Power Adapter>D cell tray(optional). If your power goes out then the ONT will go down and you can physically turn the D Cell tray with 12 D batteries on and the ONT will power up and you get 24 hours of voice backup.

In your case I'm saying to call Verizon and tell them you don't want the BBU anymore and they will send a tech out to upgrade to the Power Adapter. They no longer install the BBUs anymore. Only Power Adapters. So in your setup it will be ONT>Power Adapter>UPS surge protector with the 12v lead acid battery and when your power goes out the UPS will keep ONT powered and you will have voice backup.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I'm still confused.

I had the white ONT with the lead-acid battery & a Verizon tech replaced it with a black ONT because the white ONT caused pixellation on one channel. He told me that Verizon had problems with the white ONT. Since the ONT has been replaced, I haven't had any pixelation issues.

Did the lead-acid battery only provide voice backup? It didn't backup the ONT as well? If the ONT is plugged into my UPS, won't the UPS provide backup power to the ONT?

Unfortunately, Verizon decided to replace the lead-acid battery with a D-cell battery pack. I have the D-cell battery pack. I don't want it. I want to return it to Verizon. You know Murphy's Law - when there's a power failure, the D-cll batteries are dead. So, it appears that we're back to square one.

I'm unable to open the door of the ONT. I don't want to force it open. How do I open the door so that I can disconnect the battery pack?

0 Likes