Re: Replace battery backup
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m sorry now I’m confused. If the ONT was replaced was the bbu not replaced? Do you have this setup?

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Yep, that's exactly what I have. I believe that I didn't get any kind of backup when the tech replaced the white ONT with a black ONT. I guess that I asked about backup & I got the battery pack in the mail.

Somehow, I was able to open the ONT door so that I could connect the battery pack. Now I pull on the latches, but the door won't open. Do I need to use a flat-blade screwdriver to open the latch? I don't want to request a tech to come to my apartment for something so simple as opening a door, but I may have to.

So, we're back to square one, right? I can plug the ONT into my UPS.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay great. So nothing needed to do at the ONT. To disconnect the power d cell tray just take out the wire labeled #6 in that picture. Then take the plug from the power adapter that's in the electrical outlet and put it into the UPS then plug the UPS into the electric outlet. Take your 12v lead acid and put it in you UPS and that's it. When  power goes out your UPS will kick in and your ONT will be on battery backup. 

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

There’s a power cable running from the battery-pack to the ONT. I just looked at the battery-pack. I hoped that I could disconnect the battery-pack from the ONT at the battery-pack but I can’t. There’s no way. There’s only one connection from the battery-pack to the ONT. I can only disconnect the battery-pack from the ONT & I can’t get the ONT door open. Unless I can get the ONT door open, I’ll need to keep the battery-pack turned off. I want to disconnect the battery-pack from the ONT so that I can take the battery-pack to the Verizon store. I still have the box that it came in. Why is the ONT door so hard to open? I pulled on both latches but the door won’t open.

Battery-backup model number: Cyber Power DBH36D12V

I have a 1,300 volt-amp UPS. It has 5 battery-backup outlets & 5 surge-only outlets. Right now the TV, set-top box, computer & computer monitor are plugged into the battery-backup outlets.

Since the battery-pack only backs up the voice (landline, right?), it seems to me that the router doesn’t need to be plugged into the battery-backup outlet on the UPS in the event of a power failure. Is my assumption correct?

I want to be able to properly shut down my computer in the event of a power failure so I want the computer & the computer monitor plugged into the battery-backup outlets. It seems to me that only the ONT, computer & computer monitor need to be plugged into the UPS. That leaves 2 batery-backup outlets available.

What do you recommend?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it possible to send a picture of the ONT enclosure?  Not sure why it won't open. Also I don't think you are charged for the D cell tray. You could just leave in place and use the UPS as we discussed.

I agree. Like you said ONT, monitor, computer are the only things really needed in backup plugs. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you are refering to is a UPS.
That is not the battery backup supplied by FIOS.

As requested, can you post a picture of ONT and power supply.

0 Likes