Replacing G3100 w/ my own router, hows set up & moca 2.5 do i need & is 1 needed for every stb?
Lowa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Replacing G3100 & extenders w/ my own Netgear router. hows set up & which moca 2.5 do i need & is 1 needed for every stb?  I heard Actiontec or Motorola were good

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacing G3100 w/ my own router, hows set up & moca 2.5 do i need & is 1 needed for ev
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct. You just need to make sure the coax lines are connected in a parallel fashion (does this make sense to you? "Parallel" is a word from electromagnetism I believe.)

In your house, you should find a splitter or splitters that connect all the coax wires together. For example, like this:

You just need to make sure the WCB3000N's coax line and three STB boxes' coax lines are connected together, either directly or through splitters. Technically, you can just plug in the WCB3000N to a random coax outlet and they should just work if every coax outlets are connected together.

View solution in original post

Re: Replacing G3100 w/ my own router, hows set up & moca 2.5 do i need & is 1 needed for ev
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short story: Especially for the FiOS ONE boxes, it really is best to keep the Verizon router as primary.  This FAQ is helpful:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

After reviewing the tradeoffs, you still want to try using your own router, know you only need one MoCA bridge.  It creates a LAN on the coax that the set-top-boxes all connect to.

Lowa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do I have to call Verizon up and tell them to switch data connection over from MoCA (Coax) to Ethernet? or is the switch automatic by just plugging in the MoCa?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to contact a service representative to switch from MoCA to the Ethernet on the ONT. Please contact 24/7/365 Fios support through social media channels (Twitter or Facebook) or online chat. Phone support should be your last resort for saving your precious time and reducing stress on support Centers.

You don’t need a MoCA 2.5 adapter that is way too overkill for STBs. A cheap used MoCA 1.1 device should do, like WCB3000N.

Lowa
Enthusiast - Level 2

wow didnt know that all is needed is a cheap old one I guess just enough to power the stb's Thx!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's more than enough for "powering" a STB. MoCA 1.1 can deliver 175Mbps and WCB3000N's 5GHz 802.11n can deliver 175Mbps too. This old extender is more than enough for four 4k Streams.

Lowa
Enthusiast - Level 2

i have 3 boxes on amazon its like only 20$ lol so where do i put the splitters? I have cat and coax going down the hallways!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you intend to use WCB3000N for WiFi extension too? If not, one can drive all your STBs, not three. You need to make sure the coax to the STBs are connected to the coax port on WCB3000N. WCB3000N should be placed near your home’s coax distribution hub, where has a 6 or even 8 way splitter. Make sure your splitter is MoCA compatible.

Lowa
Enthusiast - Level 2

So just 1 moca adapter from the router and the 1 coax line going to the 3 boxes?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct. You just need to make sure the coax lines are connected in a parallel fashion (does this make sense to you? "Parallel" is a word from electromagnetism I believe.)

In your house, you should find a splitter or splitters that connect all the coax wires together. For example, like this:

You just need to make sure the WCB3000N's coax line and three STB boxes' coax lines are connected together, either directly or through splitters. Technically, you can just plug in the WCB3000N to a random coax outlet and they should just work if every coax outlets are connected together.