Re: Replacing MI424RW router; comparing options?
jonjones1
Legend

It’s not that confusing.

1) if you take internet only (I have no idea what price Verizon will charge) at your lowest level it is a coaxial connection so you are not using ethernet. Ethernet is above 100/100 speeds. But should be cheaper by not paying phone and tv surcharges and taxes.

2) with broadband only (again no tv or phone) you can get Hulu, or DirectTVNOW or Netflix for a cheaper price than paying for set top boxes or any rental fees. That is what I mean on savings.

if you just plan on comparing service levels then Verizon will give those options to you. But they are not going to make it easy on you to terminate services. 

These options are under your own controls and not mine.

i pay for gigabyte internet, I don’t use Verizon for tv or phone. My costs although high on gigabyte (cheaper than what it use to be) is just the price and a bogus surcharge of $2.49 to move Telephone poles. So no contract, and my discounts have fallen off I pay $122 a month. However I pay $35 for DirectTVNOW with 165 stations and no taxes or surcharges or bogus fees. So $157 a month. 

We use a voip phone service (two actually) which are billed for five years at $99 no taxes or surcharges or bogus below the line fees. So we are saving a ton of money.

but you have to lay out what you want, how you want it, and total costs associated with YOUR DECISION not mine.

0 Likes
Morgan191
Enthusiast - Level 3

It’s not that confusing.

It actually is extremely confusing, if I can't simply compare FiOS prices to everything else. That's making a decision when you know less than 50% of the information.

Anyway... The tone feels like it's getting a little confrontational now. So thanks for the help, but I'll figure it out from here on out.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Morgan19 wrote:

It’s not that confusing.

It actually is extremely confusing, if I can't simply compare FiOS prices to everything else. That's making a decision when you know less than 50% of the information.

Anyway... The tone feels like it's getting a little confrontational now. So thanks for the help, but I'll figure it out from here on out.

Like I said it’s not confusing if internet only. Fios prices are not simple. Verizon charges different rates to different locations, upgrading or new customer pricing, contract or non contract. You would be hard pressed to get any real idea.

you call in and speak to services reps and you get a different story depending on who you speak to and the phase of the moon.

you signup online and your price if not a new customer will change due to below the line fees, taxes or surcharges not included in the service offering.

confrontational? No. Bordering on impossible to actually research it for you. From what you are asking I have laid out the possibilities. I cannot say for certain what it will cost or any gotchas that may happen.

good way to compare is call Charter or another cable provider or visit their online portals and see their pricing and what you get. Internet only on cable is no taxes or surcharges. Their minimum speed is 100-200% faster than what you have now. It is priced $29.99 but is cable available where you are? Then they don’t charge a rental fee for their modem (not router as with Fios) but to include WiFi you need to pay them $5 extra a month or buy a WiFi enabled router to attach yourself and presto.

their tv and phone service is also as low as $29.99 each. But you get huge taxes and surcharges on tv etc.  I told you what I do. That is all up to you to decide.

0 Likes
MichaelX90

I just replaced my Verizon router with Linksys EA7500 and it's just so much better. This guide helped a lot in my case https://bluegadgettooth.com/best-router-verizon-fios/

0 Likes