Replacing Quantum Gateway router
mattandmb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have FIOS service with 75/75 internet and local TV (no STB). Looking to replace Quantum Gateway router with Netgear R7000 for various reasons. I am unclear on best way to connect with coax coming from wall and only ethernet input on Netgear router. I see that there is an Actiontec device I can use ($60 on Amazon). I also see a Fios Network Adapter on VZN site for $55 (https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-adapter). I am unsure if that is an option. Connecting from current router and turning its wifi off appears to be another option, but would prefer to get rid of additional large box. Running ethernet from the Verizon box (ONT) is not an option given router location. Some posts online appear out of date, so looking for current recommendations. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Replacing Quantum Gateway router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, getting a MOCA adapter would give you what need.

Cleaner than using Quantum Gateway as an adapter.

mattandmb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. I will order and confirm that Verizon tool does the trick. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mattandmb wrote:

I have FIOS service with 75/75 internet and local TV (no STB). Looking to replace Quantum Gateway router with Netgear R7000 for various reasons. I am unclear on best way to connect with coax coming from wall and only ethernet input on Netgear router. I see that there is an Actiontec device I can use ($60 on Amazon). I also see a Fios Network Adapter on VZN site for $55 (https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-adapter). I am unsure if that is an option. Connecting from current router and turning its wifi off appears to be another option, but would prefer to get rid of additional large box. Running ethernet from the Verizon box (ONT) is not an option given router location. Some posts online appear out of date, so looking for current recommendations. Thank you.

Make sure you can return. I’m not sure that it will work. The MoCA from the ONT operates at 1000 MHz. The MoCA adapters operate at 1125 MHz and above. I don’t think that the WAN IP address will go through that from the ONT. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mattandmb wrote:

Thank you. I will order and confirm that Verizon tool does the trick. 

Points to the third reply - He/she/they are not sure that it work due to frequency difference. 1000 MHz vs 1125 MHz+

Only if it works, report that it worked and then mark as solved.

Thank you

0 Likes