Replacing Rented Modem/Router + MOCA Adapter Question
JadeWolf07

Hi all,

I'm attempting to replace my rented FiOS modem/router (which I use for TV + Internet) with my own router (a Linksys AC2200 https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Tri-Band-Max-Stream-MU-MIMO-Wireless/dp/B06X9CPC45), but realized I will need a MOCA adapter to still use TV and DVR functionality. I've been looking at the Actiontec WCB3000N (https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Dual-Band-Wireless-Extender-Ethernet/dp/B00FKTMWDE) to use as a MOCA adapter, but I want to confirm that would work before I purchased it. If it wouldn't work, are there any other affordable MOCA adapter options?

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacing Rented Modem/Router + MOCA Adapter Question
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was going to question why you'd use that vs just an ECB2500C but then I see on Amazon that the 3000 is dirt cheap at the moment.  So as was said, it will work -- just turn off the wireless on it so it doesn't bump into that of your main router given it will be in close proximity.

One piece of food for thought -- if you think you might ever need to extend your network to another location where you'll need a second access point or switch, consider getting a MoCA 2.0 or MoCA 2.0 bonder adapter instead.   The 3000 is MoCA 1.1 which will max out at 175mbs whereas the MoCA 2.0 will give you 500mbs and bonder up to a gigabit.  MoCA 1.1 is plenty fast for the STB's however -- as that's all they have in them as well.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it will. I actually used the same one. Just take the coax that was connected to your FiOS router and connect to the WBC3000N coax port. Then take a LAN port from your Linksys and plug into one of the WBC3000N ethernet ports. The reboot your set-top boxes. 

The login to your Linksys and see what IP address that if gave to your WCB3000N and type that IP into your browser and login to the WCB3000N and disable the wifi. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was going to question why you'd use that vs just an ECB2500C but then I see on Amazon that the 3000 is dirt cheap at the moment.  So as was said, it will work -- just turn off the wireless on it so it doesn't bump into that of your main router given it will be in close proximity.

One piece of food for thought -- if you think you might ever need to extend your network to another location where you'll need a second access point or switch, consider getting a MoCA 2.0 or MoCA 2.0 bonder adapter instead.   The 3000 is MoCA 1.1 which will max out at 175mbs whereas the MoCA 2.0 will give you 500mbs and bonder up to a gigabit.  MoCA 1.1 is plenty fast for the STB's however -- as that's all they have in them as well.

JadeWolf07

I tried putting the coax from my Verizon router into the WCB3000N, but it hasn't been registering the signal or lighting up the "COAX" light. I've read that it may be an issue with needing to update the firmware of the WCB3000N, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly update the firmware to what I believe is the correct version (v0.12vz.29). Any help would be appreciated-- thank you!

0 Likes
JadeWolf07

I still can't get the WCB3000N to receive the internet through the coax cable-- any insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much!

0 Likes
MoonDragn1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@JadeWolf07 wrote:

I still can't get the WCB3000N to receive the internet through the coax cable-- any insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much!

Based on what you said, the WCB3000N should be your MOCA adapter to output your internet through the COAX. You should have a ethernet cable from the LAN port of your linksys to the ethernet port on the WCB3000N and connect a coax from the WCB3000N to your cable outlet. The STBs should receive that signal through the coax. 

Your WCB3000N shouldn't be receiving any internet from the coax. It should be sending it out. (Don't connect the coax from the Verizon router into the WCB3000N. This device is supposed to replace the verizon router for the STBs). If you are using the router to broadcast moca to the STBs, you don't need a WCB3000N.

0 Likes
JadeWolf07

Thanks for commenting, MoonDragn. 

I connected the coax that was in the back of my Verizon modem/router to the back of the WCB3000N, then connected the WCB3000N to the new Linksys router via ethernet cable, but that didn't work, as I received a message that the Linksys router couldn't be set up as it wasn't able to connect to the internet. That's what I'm trying to resolve, if that added detail helps. Thanks so much!!

0 Likes
JadeWolf07

Please advise as to whether I can make this work as described above with the WCB3000N, or if I should pick up an Actiontec ECB2500C instead. Thank you!!

0 Likes
MoonDragn1
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok how is your verizon modem connected?

The ethernet cable from the ONT should be going to the WAN port on the modem. That's the source of your internet. The modem acts as a router and sends the info through the LAN port and the coax.

Once you connect the WCB3000N to the modem's coax the coax light should come on as green on the WCB3000N.

if you are still not getting internet then check this thread out:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/The-WCB-3000N-coxial-extender-is-not-working-correctly-w...

0 Likes
JadeWolf07

Thanks for the response- the ONT doesn't have an ethernet cable coming from it, just the coax that does into a splitter (which then goes to the Verizon router/modem and the set-top box/DVR). Perhaps that's part of the problem?

0 Likes