Resolving Host ...
lailailai
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got into this resolving host problem lately.  Have exchanged router to no avail.

It's not a WiFi issue I believe as the WiFi is available.

The problem happens intermittantly.  Have contacted support, sent in a new router, but problem persists.

This is across OS and platforms; Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Androids.

On Chrome, it says Resolving host ... sometimes it get back online pretty fast sometimes it lost the connection.  A few moments later it works.  it's been frustrating.

During trouble shooting with support, I even reset the big white box in the closet a few times.  And I lost the power by not plugging the white big box in the closet right (I can't really see, it's a very narrow small closet) so in the end my TV, phone were all down.  But once I plugged in everything and got power, all three things work, leading me to believe the problem is resolved.  Yes with a new router from Verizon, the MI424WRI, with no change to anything.

But no, I still got Resolving host problem and lose Internet connection intermittantly.  When I got the connection, the speed is fast 50/50 up and down more or less.  Alas, it sometimes just Resolving host and stops.

i found only one incident online and it ends like this, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28594585-Fios-problems-dropping-packets-time-outs-resolving-host

The problem for me was fixed on Friday evening going into Saturday morning during Verizon's 'Safetime'.
They isolated the issue to a bad card on their gateway router and replaced it. Cleared up immediately.

unquote

I appreciate any help.  Or else I have to call support again.

0 Likes
Re: Resolving Host ...
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you duplicating this across browsers. I noticed OS's.

Chrome specifically has a known issue with this.

Google Chrome is a popular Web browser available for both the Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. On occasion, when you try to visit a website in Chrome, the page may not load at all and display a "Resolving Host" message in the bottom status bar. To fix this type of issue, you should disable the DNS prefetching service in Chrome, which attempts to predict network actions to improve page load speed.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_8673511_resolve-host-issues-google-chrome.html.

0 Likes
lailailai
Enthusiast - Level 1

In my case, it's not only Chrome.  Chrome just gives me the message "Resolving host" and then gives me the dinosaur as error message.  Other browsers just not that informative or entertaining.  I ping and can't reach the host when this happens so I don't think I would fault Chrome for this.  Other people may have genuine issue with Chrome but I don't believe this is my case here.

This happens intermittantly so it's hard to duplicate the problem.  But members sharing the connection using different devices different browsers accessing different sites experience this outage.

Thank you.

0 Likes
lailailai
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just using Safari, same problem.  All of a sudden the browser is stuck.  Then I fired up Chrome, and it says Rosolving host.

I just changed the DNS to Google's public DNS and see if I still experience this problem.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
lailailai
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.  After I changed to Google DNS servers it hasn't happened yet.  So I am not sure if it's browsers related, like Chrome and Safari, as I remember it happens when I use Instagram on iOS.  I think it could very well be Verizon's DNS servers together with something something that cause this instability.  I haven't used the the Google DNS long and often enough so I can't definitively say one way or another if it's fixed or more or less worked around this annoying issue.

But thanks.

0 Likes