Re: Restore Netflix access
Cece11414
They did the same thing with verizon wireless. They now limit data because people use it. Before it was unlimited data and you'd pay for minutes and text. Good for nothing pieces of ..... And they know it and don't care. Why doesn't another company see this and take them to bat? Sigh
0 Likes
kccre-007

Update, as always I update my posts. I just spoke to Verizon, and Netflix 3 hours ago, do not know what they did but my Netflix is back, Thanks Verizon I am a happ new customer. Strong signal, and no dropping signal well so far. I will update again in a few days, hope it helps someone.Thank you all for posting so we have a voice.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cece11414 wrote:
They did the same thing with verizon wireless. They now limit data because people use it. Before it was unlimited data and you'd pay for minutes and text. Good for nothing pieces of ..... And they know it and don't care. Why doesn't another company see this and take them to bat? Sigh

I've heard rumblings that unlimited data will be coming back. Verizon Wireless needs to finish their tower upgrades and spectrum deployment first. If you pay for a corporate/enterprise plan you can still buy unlimited data for less than a consumer data plan...

ncard
Enthusiast - Level 2

It still looks pretty broken to me. You can check your Netflix quality by searching for the title "Example Short 23.976" within Netflix. It will show you the bandwidth. The HD quality is 3000kbps. Most of the time for me here in FL it seems to be languishing around 750kbps.

As a work around for now, I installed ddwrt on an old router. This router firmware allowed me to set up a VPN connection. (I use ExpressVPN, but there are many others). I then plugged by Roku box into this router and streamed Netflix through the VPN. Guess what? 3000kbps every time.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ncard wrote:

It still looks pretty broken to me. You can check your Netflix quality by searching for the title "Example Short 23.976" within Netflix. It will show you the bandwidth. The HD quality is 3000kbps. Most of the time for me here in FL it seems to be languishing around 750kbps.

As a work around for now, I installed ddwrt on an old router. This router firmware allowed me to set up a VPN connection. (I use ExpressVPN, but there are many others). I then plugged by Roku box into this router and streamed Netflix through the VPN. Guess what? 3000kbps every time.

FYI 3000kpbs is only 720p, not Netflix "SuperHD" which is 4300kpbs. 

As Verizon implements direct connections this issue is going away.  People is some east coast locations and the Dallas-Forth Worth area are seeing direct Netflix-Verizon network routes that are not using third parties like NTT, Telia or L3.  I believe the worse areas are being switch over first.

0 Likes
knitler

L3 offered to PAY for a fix that would have fixed this long ago, but Verizon refused to allow it.

This isnt Verizon getting better, just Verizon getting paid by Netflix so now the users dont have to suffer since now VZ is getting more money.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@knitler wrote:

L3 offered to PAY for a fix that would have fixed this long ago, but Verizon refused to allow it.

This isnt Verizon getting better, just Verizon getting paid by Netflix so now the users dont have to suffer since now VZ is getting more money.

No, Level 3 tried to be snarky, and get free bandwidth monthly, for chipping in with hardware costs, when they made the same complaints against CDN's in the past.

That's called intellectual dishonesty.

Level 3 has been on the other end of these peering disputes in the past. In 2005 they found that Cogent was in violation of their peering agreement. Explaining the situation in a press release describing the dispute they said:

Free peering, also referred to as settlement-free peering, is a contractual relationship under which two companies exchange Internet traffic without charging each other. In order for free peering to be fair to both parties, the cost and benefit that parties contribute and receive should be roughly the same.

Continuing they said:

For example, Cogent was sending far more traffic to the Level 3 network than Level 3 was sending to Cogent’s network. It is important to keep in mind that traffic received by Level 3 in a peering relationship must be moved across Level 3's network at considerable expense. Simply put, this means that, without paying, Cogent was using far more of Level 3's network, far more of the time, than the reverse. Following our review, we decided that it was unfair for us to be subsidizing Cogent’s business.

Level 3 informed Cogent that they would be terminating their peering agreement unless Cogent made alternative arrangements.

We then contacted Cogent senior management to offer to discuss alternative commercial terms to allow the continued exchange of traffic. Cogent refused.

Level 3 put the onus squarely on Cogent for failing to make alternative, paid arrangements for the benefit of customers to handle the unbalanced traffic as other firms had.

Those firms chose to enter into arrangements – either with Level 3 or others – to obtain the appropriate connectivity and keep the interests of their customers paramount.

Summing up their position, Level 3 said:

To be lasting, business relationships should be mutually beneficial. In cases where the benefit we receive is in line with the benefit we deliver, we will exchange traffic on a settlement-free basis. Contrary to Cogent's public statements, reasonable, balanced, and mutually beneficial agreements for the exchange of traffic do not represent a threat to the Internet. They don't represent a threat to anyone other than those trying to get a free ride on someone else's network.

So what has changed for Level 3? Unfortunately, they are now the one “trying to get a free ride on someone else’s network” and failing to “keep the interest of their customers paramount.”

Fortunately, Verizon and Netflix have found a way to avoid the congestion problems that Level 3 is creating by its refusal to find “alternative commercial terms.” We are working diligently on directly connecting Netflix content servers into Verizon’s network so that we both can keep the interests of our mutual customers paramount.

0 Likes
knitler

So when the throttle point is the Verizon into L3 connection and Verizon refuses to widen that pipe, even after they are told parts of heh cost would be paid for. WHo is at fault? It sure isnt L3. It's Verizon.

And verizon help of fixing that untill they made a deal for netflix to pay them for direct access.

Call it what ever you want but Verixon knew how to fix the ieeus long ago and make its customer happy but it refused to do so untill Verizon was making mor emoney off of it.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you and I were in agreement with each other and doing business, and I come to you and say hey I know you have a monthly cost that you charge all my competitors for, but why don't I give you the money for the hardware one time, and you let me have free service moving forward, but still charge all my competitors.  would you do that?

Would that even be ethical let alone legal?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Further, if Level 3 thought it was a good business decision then why didn't they do the same for cogent?
0 Likes