Returning router
kphanmitch

I've tried to contact verizon directly to ask about this, but haven't received a response.. maybe someone can help me.. we moved to a new residence recently and have already gotten internet (internet only) installed with verizon's router rental. A friend of ours recommended we return verizon's router and purchase a cheaper one on amazon. Which from the sounds of it, a few people on the forums have as well.

My question is, since we are hoping to purchase a router from a third party after the installation, does anyone know if is this option even possible? Will verizon give us the option to return the router without having to purchase one of theirs? If yes, how would we go about installating the new router? Just rehook the wires everything up to the new one?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Returning router
jonjones1
Legend

@kphanmitch wrote:

I've tried to contact verizon directly to ask about this, but haven't received a response.. maybe someone can help me.. we moved to a new residence recently and have already gotten internet (internet only) installed with verizon's router rental. A friend of ours recommended we return verizon's router and purchase a cheaper one on amazon. Which from the sounds of it, a few people on the forums have as well.

My question is, since we are hoping to purchase a router from a third party after the installation, does anyone know if is this option even possible? Will verizon give us the option to return the router without having to purchase one of theirs? If yes, how would we go about installating the new router? Just rehook the wires everything up to the new one?

Thanks in advance!

First you don't need to use Fios supplied routers. You can go out and purchase your own. Usually when you move from point A to point B you would need to return the equipment from your old premises. Sometimes not.

when the installer comes if necessary he brings the router with him or if you requested to use your own you must have it available. Many installers will not install a customer own router. They may set up the Verizon one and then you would need to put your owner supplied one on. You have him do a dns release and then unplug the Verizon router. Plug in your own router, hook the Ethernet cable from the ont into the wan port on your router and it should get a dns assignment.

after that you are good to go.

be careful buying any Verizon routers off of eBay or other sites. They may be old, or stolen, or even knock offs. I always buy direct from local national chains like Best Buy.

Good Luck