Re: Ridiculously high latency
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thank you. Was the Pathping run from wired or wireless? You're seeing packet loss to the router, which is no good.

0 Likes
takohar

Wireless. Unfortunately, due to the setup of my apartment, being hardwired isn't possible.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Noted. What router do you currently have? Is it the Quantum G1100 and are you using  the -5G network it creates?

0 Likes
takohar

Yes, the Quantum G1100. I am not using the 5G network unfortunately because my setup does not support it, but I'm considering getting a new wifi card for that reason.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Got it. Definitely start off giving 5Ghz a chance first. If you plan to get a new wireless card, I suggest looking at an 802.11ac card with external antennas, if you have a desktop. The internal cards with antennas have better performance and range, and have less of an impact on CPU usage. They typically install into a PCIe 1X slot. The USB dongles do their job and are easier to plug in and use, just be warned that their antennas are not always fabulous.

In a laptop, most have swappable Wi-Fi cards. If you're comfortable doing so, replace the WiFi card in the laptop with a compatible 802.11ac card. Typically these cards are located in the same spots as the RAM, or have their own access door. 

0 Likes
takohar

I'll definitely give it a chance, although I do not think it will fix this issue. I'm going to ask Verizon to send me a new router to eliminate it as a potential problem.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. The G1100 if you bought it, does have a warranty to it. There should be no charge to do a warranty exchange on it through Verizon.

0 Likes