Switch Account

Ridiculously high latency

Ridiculously high latency

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 11 of 17
(913 Views)

Thank you. Was the Pathping run from wired or wireless? You're seeing packet loss to the router, which is no good.

Copper Contributor takohar
Copper Contributor
Message 12 of 17
(904 Views)

Wireless. Unfortunately, due to the setup of my apartment, being hardwired isn't possible.

Platinum Contributor III
Message 13 of 17
(895 Views)

Noted. What router do you currently have? Is it the Quantum G1100 and are you using  the -5G network it creates?

Copper Contributor
Message 14 of 17
(844 Views)

Yes, the Quantum G1100. I am not using the 5G network unfortunately because my setup does not support it, but I'm considering getting a new wifi card for that reason.

Platinum Contributor III
Message 15 of 17
(834 Views)

Got it. Definitely start off giving 5Ghz a chance first. If you plan to get a new wireless card, I suggest looking at an 802.11ac card with external antennas, if you have a desktop. The internal cards with antennas have better performance and range, and have less of an impact on CPU usage. They typically install into a PCIe 1X slot. The USB dongles do their job and are easier to plug in and use, just be warned that their antennas are not always fabulous.

In a laptop, most have swappable Wi-Fi cards. If you're comfortable doing so, replace the WiFi card in the laptop with a compatible 802.11ac card. Typically these cards are located in the same spots as the RAM, or have their own access door. 

Copper Contributor
Message 16 of 17
(832 Views)

I'll definitely give it a chance, although I do not think it will fix this issue. I'm going to ask Verizon to send me a new router to eliminate it as a potential problem.

Platinum Contributor III
Message 17 of 17
(826 Views)

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. The G1100 if you bought it, does have a warranty to it. There should be no charge to do a warranty exchange on it through Verizon.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.