RingCentral on FIOS dropping calls at one location
pl626
Contributor - Level 1

I'm using RingCentral for my vPBX with Cisco SPA525G's for the ip phones.  We're using the wired connection rather than the wireless.  In the past month we had issues with dropped calls at my location, so I implemented QoS rules on the d-Link DIR655 which I have in front of the Actiontec (V* told me I couldn't do this, but it works and I haven't had to reboot the router everyday like I had to do with the Actiontec, even with factory defaults).  I have an ethernet connection from the ONT to the d-link, so the DIR655 works fine.  The MOCA on the Actiontec is happy so my STB's all get what they need.

Things seem to be fine now at my location, but my partner, who is also on V* FIOS is now having problems.  He has the Actiontec in front as he was provisioned with coax, not ethernet.  He has the exact same phone (SPA525G), with the same configuration other than authorization info.  The only difference is it now drops calls after about 30 seconds.  I've worked the issue with both RingCentral and Cisco and everything seems to be pointing to the network layer. 

Both phones are fine when they're on my location (I called from one to the other and it stayed connected for over 40 minutes before I disconnected).  At the other location, they disconnect after only 30 seconds.

We put a DIR655 behind the other Actiontec with the same QoS rules, but that doesn't seem to be working.  Should I bother with the QoS on the Actiontec or just get a Coax to Ethernet adapter?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RingCentral on FIOS dropping calls at one location
pl626
Contributor - Level 1

So apparently, the real problem was that with our multi line phone, we were having registration contentions.  Once we cleaned that up, the Cisco SPA525G is happy again behind the Actiontec.  RingCentral's Tier2 helped us isolate this. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

the modem already has a coax to ethernet adapter built into it.  So instead you can run an ethernet cable from the main box the ONT and then call verizon to switch the moca/coax to be ethernet instead.   That would be IF your goal was to have it mimic your connection at your location.

there have been some cases where advanced applications worked better over ethernet rather than coax.  noteably vpn's but there haven't been any sizeable amount of cases where people had to get switched from one to the other, but if you wanted to exercise that kind of a change, just make sure you have the ethernet pre-ran from point a to b.

pl626
Contributor - Level 1

I was trying to avoid bringing V* into the picture.  My experience has been it'll take much longer to get what I need accomplished with V* than if I did it myself.

Any thoughts on QoS on the Actiontec for VoiP (other than the UDP ranges and phone IP)?

0 Likes
pl626
Contributor - Level 1

So apparently, the real problem was that with our multi line phone, we were having registration contentions.  Once we cleaned that up, the Cisco SPA525G is happy again behind the Actiontec.  RingCentral's Tier2 helped us isolate this.