Router DOA
andy22003
Enthusiast - Level 2
Just curious. Any have a router just up and die with no warning? All was good last night but this morning Nada. The only three lights that came on were a dull redish orange. I just recently bought and started using a wireless signal transmitter that let's me watch tv in my sunroom. We noticed the wireless printer didnt like it and our signal seemed slowed when it was on. I'm now wondering...coincidence or did this transmitter make the router work so hard that it died? I would love to hear your thoughts. By the way this transmitter is made Trek and it works great! But I wont sacrifice internet for a signal. I hate HD tv signals....
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Router DOA
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps this will help

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Troubleshooting/Top+Help+Issues/QuestionsOne/8...

If not, please post.

And when you post (if that link does not help) what is the brand and model of your router?

0 Likes
andy22003
Enthusiast - Level 2
The service person walked me through some similar tests. No, I'm afraid this router is DEAD. I unplugged it and tried plugging it in in other outlets. The adapter lights up but when I turn the thing nothing happens; no lights... no nothing so I know its a powering issue IN the router. New one is supposed to arrive Tues.
I just wanted to see if anyone thinks my concerns about the signal transmitter are possible.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Is the transmitter physically connected to the router? Or is it a relay system?  If it is connected, then it is possible. If not, then that shouldnt even be a consideration. No, more than likely the router just died (happens all the time), or you had a small power spike that happened to hit the router. Those are the most likely of possibilities.

andy22003
Enthusiast - Level 2
I think ur right. I mean the router has been on, pretty much, 24/7 since we got FIOS two years ago. So it dying is not a great surprise. The transmitter is plugged into the actual cable box and transmits on a 2.4 GhZ signal. It has nothing to do with the but I know the signal must interfere somewhat because of the printer issues I mentioned earlier. Thanks for your reply, in the I think ur right...the thing simply died.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess you mean the device si made by TERK not Trek

It would have zero on your router as all it does is take a composite signal that would normally go to the TV and convert it to a wireless signal that is transmitted to a receiver that is in turn connected to to remote tv.

I would guess that your printer issue is probably channel interference, presumably the printer is wirelessly connected? and you could resolve it by changing the transmission channel used by the routre -> printer.

0 Likes
andy22003
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yes there are four channels to choose from on the terk device. The router should arrive at any time and when it does I can mess with it. Yes, its a wireless printer. Thanks for your reply...the general thought seems to be that the router simply died.
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Y'know, given the symptoms you described I can't help wondering if it could the the router's power supply that failed, rather than the router itself.  Low voltage might cause what you're seeing.

It's probably the router that failed, but if you're curious, you might plug the new unit's power supply in to the old router just to see if it boots.  Smiley Surprised

andy22003
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well theold adapter did light up green so I never thought about the adapter but its a good point. No matter. The new router is here and plugged in and all is good. Im posting this from my internet connected laptop!! I have to say Verizon was quick to help with the new modem so I give them proper credit.

thanks

0 Likes