Router External IP Address Change
Game163

Hi,

Recently I experienced a brief FIOS internet outage, and when the service returned about an hour later I discovered that the external IP address assigned to my FIOS WIFI router had been changed. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but I have a third-party service that I'd configured for security purposes to only allow access from a specified IP address range (which contained my old router address) and now I'm locked out of that service due to the IP address change. Is it possible for Verizon to reset the external IP address of my router (even temporarily) to an address in the old address range so that I can access the third-party service again? The last byte of the IPv4 address can be any value from 0 to 255, as long as the first three bytes are the same as the old address. The router is an MI424WR leased from Verizon.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router External IP Address Change
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep in mind that your address can change at any time.

And there is no guarantee that you will be able to get an address back in the same C block as before.

Verizon doesn't offer static IPs on residential accounts so you might have to change to a business account if you can't get an address back in the same block as before.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

You could call 1-800-VERIZON and have them refresh the dhcp on your line. It may take several attempts but it may fall within the dhcp you had previously on the router.

you can also do a release and renew on the router yourself and it may help.

additionally you can set up ip ranges in the router itself. Normally a service spike doesn’t change your settings on the router.

ip ranges can be user set. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep in mind that your address can change at any time.

And there is no guarantee that you will be able to get an address back in the same C block as before.

Verizon doesn't offer static IPs on residential accounts so you might have to change to a business account if you can't get an address back in the same block as before.