Router G3100 Port and port forwarding
Fiosusr
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my previous Tplink router setuo, I was using port forwarding to access individual surveillance cameras, remotely,  while traveling. I am getting ready to setup that to see if I can really continue to use G3100.

Are others using port forwarding successfully on this G3100 router? I would appreciate any insights into this. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router G3100 Port and port forwarding
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@newbieuser wrote:

I am having the same issue. I can do port forwarding for RDP. It use to work before I upgraded to the G3100.

I have tried everything.

I have tested the port and its open but still cant RDP. I can do it inside the network but outside I cant. I use IP and my DDNS and still no luck.

I done it this way but still does not work..Keep in mind I used port 3389 not the one in the example. I got the photo from the internet. But its the same configuration but using port 3389 for both UDP and TCP.

See if the port is open from the outside.

#1 This could mean using a port checker.

An example of a web based port checker, is

https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

If you use a web based port checker, be sure that:

the server is in the listening state and you are forwarding the ports that you want to check.

If you use an inbound client side port checker like http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester or from https://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm then be sure that:

you are forwarding the ports that you want to check and the server that you are trying to forward is NOT in the listening state.

Stated reason that the server that you make sure the server trying to forward is NOT in the listening state when using an inbound client side port checker, when using this kind of port checker - it will try to listen on that port and you can not have two servers listening on the same port at the same time.

#2 Or you can have someone try to connect from the outside. When they do this, it does not have to be for RDP if desired - it just has to be server of sorts.

#3 Once you know that the port is open from the outside (not talking about from behind the router), it will be explained what is going on.

View solution in original post

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have this router myself, but it's got a pretty big G3100 User Manual as a PDF you can download. Port forwarding starts on page 93. It looks reasonably similar to how the G1100 worked.

newbieuser1

I am having the same issue. I can do port forwarding for RDP. It use to work before I upgraded to the G3100.

I have tried everything.

I have tested the port and its open but still cant RDP. I can do it inside the network but outside I cant. I use IP and my DDNS and still no luck.

I done it this way but still does not work..Keep in mind I used port 3389 not the one in the example. I got the photo from the internet. But its the same configuration but using port 3389 for both UDP and TCP.

I even did it for 3389 --> 3389 instead of TCP any and UDP any

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@newbieuser wrote:

I have tried everything.

See if the port is open from the outside.

#1 This could mean using a port checker.

An example of a web based port checker, is

https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

If you use a web based port checker, be sure that:

the server is in the listening state and you are forwarding the ports that you want to check.

If you use an inbound client side port checker like http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester or from https://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm then be sure that:

you are forwarding the ports that you want to check and the server that you are trying to forward is NOT in the listening state.

Stated reason that the server that you make sure the server trying to forward is NOT in the listening state when using an inbound client side port checker, when using this kind of port checker - it will try to listen on that port and you can not have two servers listening on the same port at the same time.

#2 Or you can have someone try to connect from the outside. When they do this, it does not have to be for RDP if desired - it just has to be server of sorts.

#3 Once you know that the port is open from the outside (not talking about from behind the router), it will be explained what is going on.

bkahn1

I am having the same problem and tried checking to see if the port is open. It does not appear to be open when I check from my phone connected to LTE -  so outside of my network. 

I am trying to forward HTTPS (443) to an internal server. This worked with my previous router but not the G3100.

0 Likes
idiot_wind
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I believe that I am having the same issue.

- I can use RDP on the local 192 LAN with no issues.

- I can get to the DynDNS hostname externally to login into the router.

- When using port checker on the PC that I am trying to connect to I see

0 - Port 3389 is closed on IP ADDRESS OF THE ROUTER  when port forwarding is disabled

0- Port 3389 is open  on IP ADDRESS OF THE ROUTER  when port forwarding is enabled.

Any additional direction would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

frank

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@idiot_wind wrote:

Hello,

I believe that I am having the same issue.

- I can use RDP on the local 192 LAN with no issues.

- I can get to the DynDNS hostname externally to login into the router.

- When using port checker on the PC that I am trying to connect to I see

0 - Port 3389 is closed on IP ADDRESS OF THE ROUTER  when port forwarding is disabled

0- Port 3389 is open  on IP ADDRESS OF THE ROUTER  when port forwarding is enabled.

Any additional direction would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

frank

Since you got that far:

a) 🙂

b) See the thread Port forwarding only works seen from outside my local network? 

dude31

can't access my camera system via internet after getting new router  it only works on WiFi but not outside  tried all that port forwarding stuff and still can't fix it    ( I'm a computer illiterate) Help

thx

•  
0 Likes
idiot_wind
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I am still having an issue connecting from outside my LAN.  I am using a static IP on my Windows 10 box and manually added that IP address to the DNS server tab/page under the Advanced page, still no luck.

Another interesting thing is that when connecting to the G3100's login page from the external IP address I can login in but the username and password but a configuration page is never displayed, using Chrome I get nothing, a blank page, using MS Edge I get:

403 Forbidden

Your client does not have permission to get this page.from this server.

Also during the troubleshooting process I set the IPv4 firewall setting to Minimum Security, but no difference. also tried the IPv6 Pinholes but when trying to add  a specific IP (192.168.x.xxx) I received Error: The local host specified is invalid, I am guessing that this is because the PC is not running IPv6.

All works well when on local LAN between 2 Windows boxes with RDP but not when trying to access from externally.  Are you aware of some logs that I can look at on the router that might give some hint as to what is happening, the logs that I saw did not tell me much.

Thanks in advance.

frank

0 Likes
mhennessie

I just upgraded from the quantum router to the G3100 and I am also experiencing issues when trying to connect to a device while on my local network and using a hostname from no-ip.com. When I am on an outside network I do not have any issues connecting and locally I can connect to the desired devices using the local IP but the hostname does not resolve. The correct ports are open and adding the hostname the DNS server setting on the G3100 has no effect. Any help would be great as I would like to get my network set back up.

I had no issue prior to the upgrade.

0 Likes