Router Login Problems
thom0573
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was able to successfully log in to my router this evening at 8:55, to change parental control settings.  At 9:25 I tried to log in again and was stumped by a dialog box that had appeared last week also.  

Last week when it happened I contacted FIOS using a chat session, and they said they couldn't solve the problem, it needed to go to the expert care team (for a price) or to the Actiontec experts, whose phone number they provided.  I figured it was too late in the evening (almost midnight) to call them, so I tried again the following evening while in the midst of another chat session with Verizon, and lo and behold when I typed in the router IP address I went back to the usual Verizon login screen and was able to successfully log in, just as I was today at 8:55, and also last night at about midnight.  

Today, it happened again, at 9:25.  The dialog box that comes up says the following:  "Authentication required  The server http://198.162.1.1:80 requires a username and password.  The server says:  level_15_access."  Then it has fill-in boxes for username and password, and two buttons:  Log In or Cancel.  The computer username and password don't work, the router username and password don't work, the "factory default" username and password don't work.  Nothing works.

I had asked Verizon about this last week, and also Actiontec when I called them a little while ago, and neither one knows what "level_15_access" is.  Now, I had installed OpenDNS last week, so the first time this started happening I thought it had to do with that, but I've disabled it, so that can't be the issue.  [I also tried the OpenDNS username and password, figuring that perhaps the "server" that said I needed to have level_15_access was the OpenDNS server, but that didn't work, either.]  I tried factory reset, and tried different browsers (IE, Chrome and Firefox) and the dialog box still comes up.  

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Router Login Problems
Justin46
Legend

You are entering the wrong IP address, it should be 192.168.1.1, not 198.162.1.1. 198.162.1.1 is a server somewhere in Canada.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Re: Router Login Problems
thom0573
Enthusiast - Level 1

Doh!  Thanks a ton, dyslexia with IP addresses is a new one for me...