Router Questions
sellersaf

Hey guys...just switched over from comcast to verizon. I am *only getting internet*. When i spoke with the sales rep, they said i need to have one of 2 routers: the quantom or the actiontec. I can find these cheaper on amazon, so i will be buying from there. My question is that if anyone knows of any significant difference in performance between the quantum G-1100 and ActionTec MI424WR Rev 1 router. The latter is much cheaper.

Also, i read on a different post that as long as im just getting internet, i can buy whichever router i want. If this is true:

-will i run into issues when the tech installs and see its not one of the 2 routers?

-what are my best options with price being more of a factor than performance?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router Questions
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're only getting Internet, the "easiest" way to do this and not get the support lecture, etc. from the installer is to ask them provision the installation via "Ethernet" and not "MoCA" and let them install a Verizon router which your choose to "rent" from Verizon.

Once the installation is complete and the installer has left, log into the router and release the WAN IP address, replace the Verizon router with a router of your own choosing, and then call Verizon after a couple days and indicate that you'd like to return the Verizon "rented" router as you are going to purchase one directly from another source (if they start the "support" lecture, tell them it's a model which matches the one they installed.  

They'll send you an equipment return box for the old router which you can return after you're sure your new router is working fine.

Note that if you have TV service with Vz STB's this is not a wise move unless you know what you're doing since you'll need to establish a MoCA bridge to support the STB's.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@sellersaf wrote:

Hey guys...just switched over from comcast to verizon. I am *only getting internet*. When i spoke with the sales rep, they said i need to have one of 2 routers: the quantom or the actiontec. I can find these cheaper on amazon, so i will be buying from there. My question is that if anyone knows of any significant difference in performance between the quantum G-1100 and ActionTec MI424WR Rev 1 router. The latter is much cheaper.

Also, i read on a different post that as long as im just getting internet, i can buy whichever router i want. If this is true:

-will i run into issues when the tech installs and see its not one of the 2 routers?

-what are my best options with price being more of a factor than performance?

Yes you can purchase your own router and use fios. However if you are getting TV and Phone or any combination of these you will save yourself a headache by using the Quantum Gateway Router G1100 which has a/c/n bands and better wifi. I cannot say if this is better since I use a Netgear R8000 Nighthawk top of the line.

people have said Verizon may balk at customer service on routers not if their own. And to use any other router you will have to give yourself your own support. However laws would compel fios to support you outside of router issues like no internet coming into your home etc.

Anazon is selling the Quantum for $99 which is a $51 savings over purchase from Verizon. But if it craps out fios is not going to warrant it. Amazon would have to.

Good Luck

sellersaf

Thank you very much for the info Jon. The actiontec router on amazon can be bought for as cheap as like $35. Is the quantum that much better to justify paying 3x as much? Also, are the any other good value routers you can suggest instead since i can use whichever i prefer? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@sellersaf wrote:

Thank you very much for the info Jon. The actiontec router on amazon can be bought for as cheap as like $35. Is the quantum that much better to justify paying 3x as much? Also, are the any other good value routers you can suggest instead since i can use whichever i prefer? 

Sometimes cheap is good. However you must take into consideration future proofing in as the Quantum is A/C where the other router is b/g/n however like high end routers just because the new standards are supposed to be faster many people don't have the devices to support them.

a good point is a friend of mine bought a new A/C/B/G/N and yet his only computer has a wifi card that connects at "n" but in the future if he upbuys then he is ready. There is another standard out already faster than A/C but it costs $500+ for the router and no devices are compatible as of now.

you could purchase any decent router and use it in Access Point Mode with the Verizon router of your choice. Most of the newer routers will have equal or better signal. Also remember with the Quantum G1100 you have dual 2.4 & 5 MHz. Where the other may only have 2.4 MHz but again your devices may not even connect to the higher speed.

the Quantum G1100 for $100 is a good price at Amazon. However Verizon may even give you a Quantum for free if you get the right customer rep. Many folks have gotten them for free. So hey who can say?

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Again its up to you, but I'd suggest this TP-Link router. http://a.co/7UV2HgT

It uses AC wireless, which you will want for getting the most out of your connection. Its also better priced than what you get with the AC Verizon router, which I've personally seen as mediocre to abysmal wireless performance. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're only getting Internet, the "easiest" way to do this and not get the support lecture, etc. from the installer is to ask them provision the installation via "Ethernet" and not "MoCA" and let them install a Verizon router which your choose to "rent" from Verizon.

Once the installation is complete and the installer has left, log into the router and release the WAN IP address, replace the Verizon router with a router of your own choosing, and then call Verizon after a couple days and indicate that you'd like to return the Verizon "rented" router as you are going to purchase one directly from another source (if they start the "support" lecture, tell them it's a model which matches the one they installed.  

They'll send you an equipment return box for the old router which you can return after you're sure your new router is working fine.

Note that if you have TV service with Vz STB's this is not a wise move unless you know what you're doing since you'll need to establish a MoCA bridge to support the STB's.

wenbill1

High folks im Wendell. I had questions about routers also. I decided to get third party ac1200 that josh recommended. I also picked up an actiontech revi incase the tech doesn't want to install a non Verizon unit. If I would have gone for the quantum gateway I probably would have bought it from Verizon because of the 2 year warranty. I only have internet  so I will try to have the tech just install the ac1200 over Ethernet. My service will be 50/50. Thanks to Justin and the OP. Any tips would be appreciated 

0 Likes
LPani

I believe it also depends on what speed internet you are paying for. If you are paying for 25Mbps, I don't know if an AC router will help you any more than an N.

Also, AC I believe is only on the 5GHz frequency which means it theoretically has a smaller range and your device may not detect it if it doesn't have the correct hardware.

There are other considerations as well. I just read an article on forbes that might answer some more questions. Something about the number of antennas your device (such as a smartphone) has and how it affects speed.

0 Likes
LPani

It still seems unclear whether one can use their own router (that's not one of the two Verizon ones) off the bat.

Does anyone know?

Or do we have to use the "rent at first and then return after a day" trick, if one is not interested in buying one of those two routers?

Wendell, let us know what you experience with the tech, i.e. let us know if they install the ac1200 without needing the actiontech.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@LPani wrote:

It still seems unclear whether one can use their own router (that's not one of the two Verizon ones) off the bat.

Does anyone know?

Or do we have to use the "rent at first and then return after a day" trick, if one is not interested in buying one of those two routers?

Wendell, let us know what you experience with the tech, i.e. let us know if they install the ac1200 without needing the actiontech.

You can use your own router at any speed tier. However the problem is Verizon Fios does not like to give support to routers not of their design or use. Right now I believe its a Quantum Gateway G1100 which is an A/C router and you can buy it outright for $150 or rent it for $10 a month as long as you have service. Please understand that many other third party routers like Netgear or Asus or Belken or even Linksys routers can cost as much or more than the Greenwave branded Quantum Gateway.

Verizon has a two year warranty on these Quantums. And they also work flawless with their network extenders via plug and play if you ever need to buy one.

Or you can still use the Quantum with your own router in access point mode which is in the other personal routers documentation.

0 Likes