Re: Router Questions
LPani

@jonjones wrote:

@LPani wrote:

It still seems unclear whether one can use their own router (that's not one of the two Verizon ones) off the bat.

Does anyone know?

Or do we have to use the "rent at first and then return after a day" trick, if one is not interested in buying one of those two routers?

Wendell, let us know what you experience with the tech, i.e. let us know if they install the ac1200 without needing the actiontech.

You can use your own router at any speed tier. However the problem is Verizon Fios does not like to give support to routers not of their design or use. Right now I believe its a Quantum Gateway G1100 which is an A/C router and you can buy it outright for $150 or rent it for $10 a month as long as you have service. Please understand that many other third party routers like Netgear or Asus or Belken or even Linksys routers can cost as much or more than the Greenwave branded Quantum Gateway.

Verizon has a two year warranty on these Quantums. And they also work flawless with their network extenders via plug and play if you ever need to buy one.

Or you can still use the Quantum with your own router in access point mode which is in the other personal routers documentation.

Thanks but I think you misunderstand. I already have a router which works perfectly fine, so there is no need for me to buy a new router from Verizon or from anywhere else regardless of how nice you are trying to make the quantum gateway from verizon sound.

The question is about the installation. When the verizon rep comes in, can they install directly using the customer owned router or does the customer have to rent the verizon router at first before they can return the verizon router and then switch to their own.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I don't use the Quantum look at my specs above.

You can use ANY ROUTER you want when the installer arrives. You do not need the verizon G1100.

Hope that answered your question?

old Router as a bridge
Sumyall
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I use or configure my old Verizon Router to be used as a "bridge" for WIFI distribution throughout my house?

Re: old Router as a bridge
jonjones1
Legend

I believe many people have said the quantum g1100 is problematic in trying to even use in bridge mode.

most people state they use the fios router as primary and another branded router in access point mode. However you can try to do what you want and see.

0 Likes
NamePrivate1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

According to https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Fios-Router-Actiontec-MI424WR-Rev-I/311275552 that router can only go up to 130 mbps wirelessly. That means if you're paying for a speed faster than that you still would only get 130 mbps maximum since that's all the router can handle. Less you plug in a cable to the devices from the router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The quantum Gateway can handle gigabyte speeds. The Actiontec no.

however no router gives 100% thoroughput. On WiFi.

we are talking direct ethernet connections and even those have device limitations.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

The quantum Gateway can handle gigabyte speeds. The Actiontec no.

however no router gives 100% thoroughput. On WiFi.

we are talking direct ethernet connections and even those have device limitations.

The actiontec MI424wr rev I and Rev G should be perfectly capable of handline a Gigabit connection.  I believe the main reason Verizon discourages is the slower Wireless speeds.

jonjones1
Legend

Thank you. I was reading at another site that it was inferior to the Quantum.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is. It doesn't have the WiFi speed that the quantum router does.

ProfQuill

I'll tell you a bit of my experience.  I ordered up 50/50 internet (I already had FIOS voice), so installation involves just plugging in a router.  For starters, I had an old used ActionTec to get me going, but I realize that the wireless isn't top speed.  That worked but Speedtest was only getting me some 20 Mbps even though it is 'g' and connects at 54 Mbps.

I found a G1100 on eBay for a great price since it was missing the power brick, but I have a box of them, hooked that up and now getting 50-60 Mbps on my laptop, whether I use the 2.4 Ghz 'n' (connection speed 144 Mhz) or  5 Ghz 'a/c' (connected at 867 Mbps...wicked fast, eh?).

So I'm not sure why the ActionTec was so slow, it ought to do better than 20 anyway.  Both these are via the MoCA port, even though I don't have TV and could use a straight router via Ethernet, I'd rather keep my options open for the future and knew the G1100 worked nicely at my dad's place.

So certainly from my point of view, I'd try to get a G1100, works better and you are future proofed.  Just adding my 2 bitcoins. 

0 Likes