Re: Router Questions
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would definately say try to avoid using the ActionTec router if you can.

If you decide to go with a Netgear (Nighthawk) or an ASUS router (which is much better than the Nighthawk) and you would like to daisy-chain the two together, instead of enabling bridge mode, both of the above mentioned routers support a setting called Access Point Mode / AP Mode which will allow the router to act as a powerful wireless network and hub, but passes clients to the GreenWave (G1100)/ActionTec (MI424WR) routers transparently. It typically works better then bridge mode.

Also final note: Rev.G is not fully supported by Verizon anymore (aka if you have one and need the router to be replaced, you'll have to upgrade to Rev.I or the G1100) though ofc it will give you internet.

Third party router are also typically harder to support because they will disable IGMP pinging by default.

Re: old Router as a bridge
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, I've done this everytime I get a new actiontec.  Just remeber you need moca, disable the wan and internal dhcp

They work great as remote switches too, I have one behind my TV with all of my streaming devices hardwired

0 Likes
SalD1

I was ready to pull the trigger on the quantum router to replace my outdated one, for which I am paying $2.80 per month.  I figured for an extra $7 per month, I would go for a new router.  Then Verizon tells me there is a $10 shipping charge.....order cancelled !!!  Making $120 per year on the router, the nerve to add a shipping charge is absurd in principle.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

BTW, you can also buy. Not much more than the price for a years rental. If you hit amazon, you can get free shipping.

jonjones1
Legend

@SalD wrote:

I was ready to pull the trigger on the quantum router to replace my outdated one, for which I am paying $2.80 per month.  I figured for an extra $7 per month, I would go for a new router.  Then Verizon tells me there is a $10 shipping charge.....order cancelled !!!  Making $120 per year on the router, the nerve to add a shipping charge is absurd in principle.  

As another said you can purchase it for $150 new from Verizon. Or you can buy one on Amazon for $99 and then there is eBay which sells for around $49 so there can be bargains. Just remember not to purchase a Quantum Gateway Router that is Frontier.

yes they use to be Verizon but frontier flashed their proprietary firmware on them and they will not function on Fios. Google this and see that my statement is factual.

for around $200 you can purchase a far superior router from TP Link (archer) or Netgear or Asus. Just research in your area. 

If you own there is no monthly rental charges. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actiontec rev i red does have gig wired ports however its only wireless n

johnnypeppers
Enthusiast - Level 2

WONDERING WHY YOU ARE SWITCHING,I WAS PLANNING ON SWITCHING TO COMCAST VERIZON JUST CAN'T GET MY TV OR LAPTOP TO GO WIRELESS.HAD THE LAPTOP CHECKED,WORKS FINE WITH COMCAST

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes