Router Security
snflwrgirl

I thought my router was secure because when I view a list of wireless connections it shows that "security enabled wireless network". However yesterday I had someone come over with their laptop and they easily accessed my network and got on the internet without any problem or password/key needed. How can I be sure it is really secure?

0 Likes
Re: Router Security
jimryan
Enthusiast - Level 3
Log into your router 192.168.1.1 with your userid and password. Click on Wireless Settings. You should see a panel that shows you something similar to .... Radio Enabled: Yes SSID: xxxxxx Channel: Automatic Security Enabled: Yes <----- this is how you know security is on WEP 64-bit: xxxx <--- one of these should have a pw next to it WEP 802.1x: xxxx WPA: xxxxx SSID Broadcast: Enabled MAC Authentication: Disabled Wireless Mode: Compatibility Mode(802.11b/g/n) WMM: Enabled Received Packets: 61346 Sent Packets: 74807
0 Likes
jimryan
Enthusiast - Level 3

hmmm that didn't work ... lets try this ...

Radio Enabled:Yes
SSID:xxx
Channel:Automatic
Security Enabled:Yes <--- this lets you know security is on
        WEP 64-bit:xxxx <--- one of the following will have a pw
        WEP 802.1x:xxxx <--- next to it
        WPA:xxxx <---
SSID Broadcast:Enabled
MAC Authentication:Disabled
Wireless Mode:Compatibility Mode(802.11b/g/n)
WMM:Enabled
Received Packets:61346
Sent Packets:74807

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am just wondering.

Since WEP can be broken into in about 1 to 2 minutes..

Source:

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-089.htm

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-089.txt

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-089.pdf

Security Now! with Steve Gibson, Episode 89 for April 26, 2007: Even More Badly Broken WEP

..why do you recommend that they use WEP?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into your router as suggested above and change the wireless security to use WPA2-PSK (AES). WEP can be cracked in pretty much 10 seconds (the default password on the FiOS routers is very weak; a bit of math will let anyone get your key) so it's rather only good for keeping people who simply try to guess a password out. WPA2-PSK is designed to fix the weaknesses found in WEP, besides giving the wireless a performance boost by nature. Only true way to defeat WPA2-PSK is to use Rainbow Tables and Brute Force to find the master shared key. A strong key will take ages to crack.

I don't get why Verizon is still shipping the routers with WEP enabled by default. WPA-PSK (TKIP) should be supported by every device, including age-old B Devices (My PSP, which is a B device supports it, along with an ancient Linksys BEFW11S4v4 I have sitting around collecting dust). Even though WPA-PSK TKIP still has some weaknesses compared to WEP, it's that much harder to break into.

Please be aware that if you change your wireless security settings, every device you own that connects thorugh the Wi-Fi will need to have it's security settings updated and changed to match both the Encryption you set, as well as the new WPA2 key you set.

cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,

Enter in your browser 192.168.1.1 which is the page to view/ change settings in your router, the username is admin and password is password all in lower case letters.

NOTE:

if you have problems login into the router page, reset the router

HOW:

Look in the back of router, you will see a small button, press and hold until the lights start flashing, then release and wait for the lights come solid

TO RESET:

Use something point that don't damage your router

once you login on the page, under the main menu click on "wireless settings" menu, then select "basic settings"(left hand side)

look for WEP there are two options on and off

if you want to have a better protection use WPA

HOW TO GO THERE:

Click on "advance settings" select WPA and type the new password(you can set whatever you want)

NOTE:

WEP has to be off

Good Luck!