Router - Slow Wireless Connection in Areas of Home
CarlaRD
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there a way to boost the router signal or is it possible to get a better router that's compatible with Verizon Fios?

I have the standard Vz Actiontec Router (MI424WR). We use our laptop mainly in our kitchen, the router is upstairs next to our main PC (about 65 feet away from the laptop). The connection speed on our laptop is horrible. Using Verizon's Internet speed test, we're getting 30/22 on our wired PC, and only 1/5 on our laptop.  When I move the laptop immediately next to the router, the speed is fine 25/22, so it's not an issue with the laptop. For some reason, the router signal just isn't strong enough. I'm happy to invest in a better router, if that solves the problem.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Carla 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router - Slow Wireless Connection in Areas of Home
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If the above doesn't help, then you can get a 2nd router, any Wireless N router would be fine.   Try to get a dual band or dual radio wireless N router.   I like the big brands like linksys and netgear, but I have purchased inexpensive brands and found they worked fine too, like trendnet.   Verizon also offers a Wireless N router, but it's not full dual radio 5 ghz (which is the kind I would recommend) but it's significantly better than the one you have now.  

These would be your instructions if you went that way. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

hi carla, can you look at the service tag on that router, and tell us what revision it is.  It will say rev a, b, c, d, f, etc....

0 Likes
CarlaRD
Enthusiast - Level 1

It says Rev E

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ok, The Rev E Actiontec is a Wireless G Router, that gets about what you are getting under optimal conditions.   You should be able to get a little more distance with good speeds.  

You might be able to increase the distance by searching for a stronger wireless channel.  Wireless Channels are settings that you find inside your router, to change that open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

Make sure the router is on a desk, standing upright and with the antenna positioned correctly.   And try to position it as shown below to have the best coverage in your house.   That router gets it's internet from the coax cable, so you can technically move it into any room that has working fios tv service.  you would just need a 1 ghz 2 way tv splitter (they are cheap online)  

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If the above doesn't help, then you can get a 2nd router, any Wireless N router would be fine.   Try to get a dual band or dual radio wireless N router.   I like the big brands like linksys and netgear, but I have purchased inexpensive brands and found they worked fine too, like trendnet.   Verizon also offers a Wireless N router, but it's not full dual radio 5 ghz (which is the kind I would recommend) but it's significantly better than the one you have now.  

These would be your instructions if you went that way. 

CarlaRD
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry for taking so long to consider this. After trying other solutions, I think I'm going to have to get a 2nd router. I need the 2nd router to be wireless, as there isn't any reasonable way to connect a 2nd router with an ethernet cable given that I need to locate the 2nd router in a different spot in the house.

Verizon says "Connecting an Access Point wirelessly to the Actiontec using WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is not supported by the Actiontec hardware. The only currently known connection method for an access point is through ethernet wiring to the Actiontec."

So this says I can't use the Actiontec router for this purpose. Do you think I need two new routers, like the dual band/dual radio N routers you suggest?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well I will tell you that hardwiring it is the best solution.  Verizon has a neat way of doing that if you have a working TV in that area of the house.   If you do then you can follow these instructions, and it will work wonderfully.  A 2nd actiontec can be purchased very cheaply at ebay or amazon, around 20-30 dollars.

If you end getting a 2nd wireless router, then just follow these instructions and you will be home free. 

0 Likes