Router Speed should match the FiOS Internet Speed
DMIGIRDE

I have FiOS 75 Mbps down /35 Mbps up.  It works like a charm when I am wired RJ45.  However, I have family members that use their iPads, and wireless laptops to connect.

The Verizon FIOS Router MI424WR (g) that I was given when I ordered the above service does not support the speeds that I subscribed to.  So, what is the use of getting anything above 75Mbps and why would Verizon sell me the service?   if you currently have a MI424WR (g) which only supports speeds up to 40Mbps, you have to pay $99 to upgrade to MI424WR (n) which supports speeds up to 100Mbps (obviously, advertised vs real world can factor in 10% to 20% of performance degradation).  So, for everyone who currently has a (g) router and has speeds higher than 50Mbps, you are paying for a service that the router does not deliver. 

Verizon advertises speeds that their own routers cannot support. 

Verizon: you have to change this practice. You have to bundle the wireless router that supports the speed.  I am after 11 months of service going to decrease the speed, however, I feel as if I was misrepresented the service that I am getting.

0 Likes
Re: Router Speed should match the FiOS Internet Speed
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DMIGIRDE wrote:

I have FiOS 75 Mbps down /35 Mbps up.  It works like a charm when I am wired RJ45.  However, I have family members that use their iPads, and wireless laptops to connect.

The Verizon FIOS Router MI424WR (g) that I was given when I ordered the above service does not support the speeds that I subscribed to.  So, what is the use of getting anything above 75Mbps and why would Verizon sell me the service?   if you currently have a MI424WR (g) which only supports speeds up to 40Mbps, you have to pay $99 to upgrade to MI424WR (n) which supports speeds up to 100Mbps (obviously, advertised vs real world can factor in 10% to 20% of performance degradation).  So, for everyone who currently has a (g) router and has speeds higher than 50Mbps, you are paying for a service that the router does not deliver. 

Verizon advertises speeds that their own routers cannot support. 

Verizon: you have to change this practice. You have to bundle the wireless router that supports the speed.  I am after 11 months of service going to decrease the speed, however, I feel as if I was misrepresented the service that I am getting.

I paid $12 for a Tenda wireless-n router and connected to my network as a 2nd wap.  get full sppweed with no issues and a far better signal to boot.

Router speed does match.  Verizon will supply a router that will handle your speed tier WIRED.  For wireless you get whatever they have on hand.  If your tier is >100mb then you would get a gb capable router that does support wireless-n

0 Likes