Switch Account

Router Speed should match the FiOS Internet Speed

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Router Speed should match the FiOS Internet Speed

Message 1 of 2
(562 Views)

I have FiOS 75 Mbps down /35 Mbps up.  It works like a charm when I am wired RJ45.  However, I have family members that use their iPads, and wireless laptops to connect.

The Verizon FIOS Router MI424WR (g) that I was given when I ordered the above service does not support the speeds that I subscribed to.  So, what is the use of getting anything above 75Mbps and why would Verizon sell me the service?   if you currently have a MI424WR (g) which only supports speeds up to 40Mbps, you have to pay $99 to upgrade to MI424WR (n) which supports speeds up to 100Mbps (obviously, advertised vs real world can factor in 10% to 20% of performance degradation).  So, for everyone who currently has a (g) router and has speeds higher than 50Mbps, you are paying for a service that the router does not deliver. 

Verizon advertises speeds that their own routers cannot support. 

Verizon: you have to change this practice. You have to bundle the wireless router that supports the speed.  I am after 11 months of service going to decrease the speed, however, I feel as if I was misrepresented the service that I am getting.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Router Speed should match the FiOS Internet Speed

Message 2 of 2
(555 Views)

@DMIGIRDE wrote:

I have FiOS 75 Mbps down /35 Mbps up.  It works like a charm when I am wired RJ45.  However, I have family members that use their iPads, and wireless laptops to connect.

The Verizon FIOS Router MI424WR (g) that I was given when I ordered the above service does not support the speeds that I subscribed to.  So, what is the use of getting anything above 75Mbps and why would Verizon sell me the service?   if you currently have a MI424WR (g) which only supports speeds up to 40Mbps, you have to pay $99 to upgrade to MI424WR (n) which supports speeds up to 100Mbps (obviously, advertised vs real world can factor in 10% to 20% of performance degradation).  So, for everyone who currently has a (g) router and has speeds higher than 50Mbps, you are paying for a service that the router does not deliver. 

Verizon advertises speeds that their own routers cannot support. 

Verizon: you have to change this practice. You have to bundle the wireless router that supports the speed.  I am after 11 months of service going to decrease the speed, however, I feel as if I was misrepresented the service that I am getting.

I paid $12 for a Tenda wireless-n router and connected to my network as a 2nd wap.  get full sppweed with no issues and a far better signal to boot.

Router speed does match.  Verizon will supply a router that will handle your speed tier WIRED.  For wireless you get whatever they have on hand.  If your tier is >100mb then you would get a gb capable router that does support wireless-n

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.