Router Swap - WAN Ethernet cable not recognized
ferdav
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hope someone can help.  Recently requested a new router to replace my MI424WR Rev. E.  Verizon sent me a new MI424WR Rev. I. When I unplug the WAN ethernet cable from my old router to the new router, the WAN Ethernet connection light on the front of the router does not light up (LEDs in the back port don't lightup either, like a dead port). I have tried MAC cloning, releasing lease, unplugging overnight, Verzion reps tried releasing from their side too, but I cant get the new router to recognize the WAN ethernet cable.  In the router UI the Broadband Connection (Ethernet) shows "Cable Disconnected".

I live in an appartment building so ONT is not in my unit. It is centralized in the basement, and the bulding runs ethernet and coax to each unit.  My broadband connection is through Ethernet not Coax. My Fios TV STB is connected to the router via Lan Coax (No WAN Coax).

Verizon suggested i return the new router and get a new one because it could be defective and the port could be dead.  BUT, I can actually make my old router a bridge, hardwire it to the new router, and I get WAN Ethernet green lights.  It's gotta be MAC authentication related.   I would keep the two routers but Verizon obviously wont let me.  Any sugestions on how to go get the new router to recognize the WAN ethernet cable?  Thanks in advance 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router Swap - WAN Ethernet cable not recognized
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ferdav wrote:

Open questions remain tho: 
(1) automtic speed detection did not work in rev I and could not downshift to 100mbs. Why?
(2) is there anything I (or verizon) can do to get 1000mbs?

1)  As i stated earlier, I strongly suspect that the cat5 cable from the ONT to your wall jack is not wired correctly.  Why that would cause the "auto-downshift" not to work, I don't know.

2)  This depends on which ONT is installed.  If the ONT is a Motorola 6000-E (BPON) unit, then I believe it's WAN ports are 10/100 and you'll never get a 1Gbps connection from it.  If the ONT is a 6000-GET (GPON), then the WAN ports do support 1Gbps.  Whether you WAN connection is 1Gbps or not won't make any difference unless you're on a plan greater than 100Mbps.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
ferdav
Enthusiast - Level 2

yep.  tried all three to break the lease.  (1) releasing dhcp leasde via router UI and quickly disconnecting (2) verizon support tried it from their side (2) and cloned the address of the old router in the new one

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if verizon did the dhcp clear then your problem isn't mac address related anymore.

You might have a legitimately bad cable, or a legitimately bad cable port on your new router.  

if verizon did the dhcp clear then your problem isn't mac address related anymore.

You might have a legitimately bad cable, or a legitimately bad cable port on your new router.  

have you tried the factory reset (hold it in for 20 seconds and release)   if so then I would look at trying to get a new router.

Even if you had a mac address issue, it wouldn't affect the status of the ethernet wan light or coax wan lights. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

"BUT, I can actually make my old router a bridge, hardwire it to the new router, and I get WAN Ethernet green lights.  It's gotta be MAC authentication related.   I would keep the two routers but Verizon obviously wont let me.  Any sugestions on how to go get the new router to recognize the WAN ethernet cable?  Thanks in advance "

This makes me wonder about the cable still,  when it passes through your old router, it's 100mb wan,  when it passes through the new router, it's upto gigabit.   

do you know what kind of ethernet that cable is? 

is it 

cat 5

cat 5e

cat 6

0 Likes
ferdav
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you are on to something Hub.  I am still using my cat 5e that came with the old router.  I am trying to find the ethernet cable that came with the new router.  Woud that make a difference?  Should i be using cat 6 only with the Rev I model?

0 Likes
ferdav
Enthusiast - Level 2

All WAN and LAN cables are cat 5e.  They should work with both routers. Right? Swapped the cables around to rule out defects, but it didn't make a difference.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A while back on DSLReports back when the Rev. G and I were coming out, a member or two saw the same exact issue you're seeing. If memory serves correct, they had an Ethernet connection installed by Verizon from the ONT to the router. When the person used their Rev. F, all worked fine. However, when the Rev. I was placed in the Ethernet port never light up indicating a connection. It's almost as if it's not seeing a signal or is failing to negotiate a link. I believe the fix was to re-terminate both ends of the cable which helped the connection, or to run CAT6 cable. It was a while ago so I don't quite remember. Either way, it's definitely something to keep in mind. It's possible the Rev. I's Ethernet port isn't quite as powerful or "loud" as in the older revisions, or it could just be more sensitive to longer or poorly terminated cable.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ferdav wrote:

Recently requested a new router to replace my MI424WR Rev. E.  

I live in an appartment building so ONT is not in my unit. It is centralized in the basement,

Something doesn't make sense here.  If you have an MDU install, then Verizon usually uses VDSL from the central ONT to each unit.  If you're on VDSL, then you need a VDSL modem or a VDSL compatible router (Westell 9100VM).  Neither the rev. E or the rev. I will work when connected directly to a VDSL line.

There are MDU ONTs that do have cat5 ethernet, however these are very rare and can only be used when there are two cat5 runs to each apartment (one for internet, one for phone).  If this is truely the case, then there is one possibility.  The rev. I has a 1Gbps WAN port.  1Gbps connections require that all 4 pair in a cat5 cable are connected correctly, while the older rev. E has only a 100Mbps WAN port and only requires two pair to operate.  It's possible that one of the additional pairs is not wired correctly, preventing the WAN port from connecting to the ONT at 1Gbps.  It's also possible if there was only a single cat5 cable that the installers got creative and used the "extra" pairs for phone service. 

If the router can't connect at 1Gbps (using all 4 pair), it "should" downshift to 100Mbps, but I have seen this not work.  This would also explain why the WAN port on the rev I works when connected via a patch cord in a bridged configuration.

0 Likes
ferdav
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are one of those rare MDUs running ethernet from the ONT in NYC.  Our wall jacks have seperate ports for voice and data, and a coax too.

When I unplug the WAN ethernet cable from the rev E (which is connected straight to the wall), and plug it directly to my Mac, the Network Preferences and utility tools can't detect the cable (ethernet shows not connected in red). BUT when I switch the hardware speed config from "Automatic" to "manual" and select 100baseTX + full-duplex, flow-control, it connects and I have internet access!  When is select 1000baseT + full-duplex, flow-control, it goes back to "Not Connected".  So my Mac tools can't determine the connection speed when set to "Automaitic", it only works when manually set to 100baseTX, it does not work at 1000base.

As you said, Rev I should be able to downshift to 100mbps.  Questions: (1) is there a way to manually set the WAN ethernet speed in the Rev I via the UI to 100mbs? (2) Is it safe to assume that the ethernet speed from ONT to my unit is 100mbps given the above?  Can verzion bump it up to 1Gig? Is that something that would require re-wiring the building, or do they have a way to configure or move me to a different 1 Gif ONT port? (pardon ignorance on physical connection)

I have 2 cat5e and 2 cat5 cables that I have swapped around.  I can't imagine the pairs being messed up in all of them.

0 Likes