Re: Router Swap - WAN Ethernet cable not recognized
ferdav
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the rev I to work.  I went into Advanced, port configuration, and switched the WAN port from Auto to 100 Full Duplex.  Green lights all arounds, and obtained DHCP lease with internet.

So my original problem has been fixed, I can now return the Rev E.  Thanks to the folks who pointed me in the direction of the ethernet cables and speeds.

Open questions remain tho: 
(1) automtic speed detection did not work in rev I and could not downshift to 100mbs. Why?
(2) is there anything I (or verizon) can do to get 1000mbs?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

You would have to be on a 100MB plus plan, and have the ethernet delivering your internet to the router (that means you are plugged into the ethernet wan slot on the router)

Also your ONT would have to support it.

What are the different models of ONTs?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ferdav wrote:

(1) automtic speed detection did not work in rev I and could not downshift to 100mbs. Why?

1)  As i stated earlier, I strongly suspect that the cat5 cable from the ONT to your wall jack is not wired correctly.  Why that would cause the "auto-downshift" not to work, I don't know.

2)  This depends on which ONT is installed.  If the ONT is a Motorola 6000-E (BPON) unit, then I believe it's WAN ports are 10/100 and you'll never get a 1Gbps connection from it.  If the ONT is a 6000-GET (GPON), then the WAN ports do support 1Gbps.  Whether you WAN connection is 1Gbps or not won't make any difference unless you're on a plan greater than 100Mbps.

raeth

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@ferdav wrote:

1)  As i stated earlier, I strongly suspect that the cat5 cable from the ONT to your wall jack is not wired correctly.  Why that would cause the "auto-downshift" not to work, I don't know.

2)  This depends on which ONT is installed.  If the ONT is a Motorola 6000-E (BPON) unit, then I believe it's WAN ports are 10/100 and you'll never get a 1Gbps connection from it.  If the ONT is a 6000-GET (GPON), then the WAN ports do support 1Gbps.  Whether you WAN connection is 1Gbps or not won't make any difference unless you're on a plan greater than 100Mbps.

I realise this is a somewhat old post but it describes my problem as well. Have a gig-e rev i that i had to set at 100 megabit duplex so thanks for that tid bit of useful info but do any of you happen to know what the correct wiring of the jack is supposed to be , i.e. white/orange to black. etc. or where i can find this information. Have been fighting with verizon tech support for over a week and I'm about ready to tell them where to plug their ethernet cables. hopefully somebody out there can help cause all i can find is standard rj45 jack diagrams and they stuck a stupid phone jack style thing on the wall. tia

have also tried my own personal router a netgear wndr3700 and it will connect but only at 100 megabits

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@raeth wrote:

do any of you happen to know what the correct wiring of the jack is supposed to be ,

The wiring for an ethernet install is supposed to be a standard RJ45 with straight through wiring on all 8 pins.

A 4 conductor phone jack will not work with cat5 cables.

Are you sure you don't have a VDSL install?  A VDSL install requires either a Zyxel VDSL modem or a Westell 9100VM modem/router combo.  A VDSL install uses a conventional phone jack.

So what kind of cable are you using between the jack and Actiontec or your WNDR3700?

As I stated earlier, if you have a BPON MDU ONT, you won't get over 100Mbps from the ONT.

0 Likes
raeth

Thanx for responding but there are 8 connectors in it it just looks like a phone jack on the outside not inside. its not an actual rj45 behind a face plate like you usually get  "625a28k 8 wire keyed data jack assembly " if that helps its the number and info off the sticker inside of the jack but the sights that sells them doesnt publish a wiring diagram as far as i can tell. and its definitely got a catagory 5 or 5e plugged into a verizon gige router so no not dsl no modem involved in the chain.

I used the same modem and the same jack when switched routers all i did was unplug the gige and plugged in the netgear didnt want to change anything in the route since i was only using it to test if the connection was at fault or the router was as ive had a dud router from them already wasnt sure at first.

and im not sure how to find the model of ont. it is a brand new one its less then 2 weeks old and verizon tech assuses me it is good up to 300 megabits but well we both know how reliable they are sometimes on information.

0 Likes
mkgoyal450
This has really helped. I was struggling to swap the router with my own router and was not able to do so. This link really helped. Thanks. Verizon customer care was hopeless. I have been asking them for help but it looks as if they were not helping purposely and wanted myself to continue renting their router for an extra fees.
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

In this day and age to avoid frustrations with Ethernet connections buy a cable tester.  Depending where you buy it is well worth the $10 - $20.    It will test the cable for continuity and tell you if any of the pins are miswired.

The standard wiring  for making cables and jacks now days is 56B.   This is straight thru wiring.   Both ends are pinned exactly the same.  Cross over cables are not needed as most if not all currenty devices handle the send/receive switch over automatically.

Google on line and you will find plenty of full color diagrams of how the wires are arranged.   Or if you have good eyes and a magnifying glass look at the pins in a known good cable.

Finally if you need to replace Ethernet jacks you can pick cat5 jacks up at Home Depot for $3.00 each.  The jacks are labled for where to punch down the wires for either 56A or 56B.   The jacks come with complete instructions and a plastic punch down tool.  Very simple and straight forward.  However,  making cables and attaching RJ45 fittings in the end in a royal {word filter avoidance}.  Arranging the thin wires, crossing them and then getting them to slip into the correct pin slot can be frustrating.

0 Likes