Router Upgrade
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2

I have a very old fios router which has only 2.4 GHZ wi-fi.  If I buy the G1100 router can I simply replace the old router without and wiring or other changes?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router Upgrade
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, but Verizon doesn't sell it anymore. They only sell the G3100 now. You would have to get the G1100 online from a third party. Just be careful with this method because you can get a router with Frontier FiOS firmware and won't work with some of your TV features. You can also get one that was stolen and Verizon might try to make you rent it so make sure there is a good return policy. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, but Verizon doesn't sell it anymore. They only sell the G3100 now. You would have to get the G1100 online from a third party. Just be careful with this method because you can get a router with Frontier FiOS firmware and won't work with some of your TV features. You can also get one that was stolen and Verizon might try to make you rent it so make sure there is a good return policy. 

NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the information.

0 Likes
Dave476

I think NO is the answer to this question specifically.  Don't you need to 'disable' the DHCP on the old router first?  You can't just plug in the new one, can you?  Other than making sure you buy a legit Verizon G1100. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you mean to release the WAN DHCP? No, you don't need to do that any more. Verizon layer 3 would automatically assign you a new WAN IP when you disconnect the old router and plug in a new router.

0 Likes