Router Wifi Address is Incorrect
sati1309
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a new customer. Since day one, all 'locations' on wireless devices conneced to my wifi map to Richmond, VA while I actually live in MA.  I verified that the IP address is correct, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Re: Router Wifi Address is Incorrect
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is possibly due to the way that Verizon assigns IPs in your area. But also, if the IP was previously owned by someone who lives in Richmond, or if it's a new IP address which Verizon hasn't used, then the IP will show up in Richmond. It can take a few weeks for services to update showing your current location correctly. Google services should be amongst the quickest, since any Android phone, or iPhone with Google apps installed, will report back location using other pieces of data, like Wi-Fi networks, or GPS data.

rodknee1

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to jump start the change? Is the change needed on the devices end, or Verizon's? Certain apps, like MLB.tv, won't run without a good location, it's too smart for its own good. Ours shows Staton Island, NY when we are in fact in southern Virginia. . .

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The location info is done by several other services, not Verizon or any of the ISPs.  Their are at least 4 major ones used in the U.S..  You have to get them to update their info.  Like pulling teeth since you never know which one a particular site or company uses.  I am Frontier (former verizon) and once they started using their own IP addreses, several of these services say the ip is in Canada (toronto area) rather than Florida.