Router Will Not Recognize Ethernet Printer Connection
mmarty

I just purchased a new Samsung CLP-310W wireless printer and am trying to install it so I can print from my laptop.  I am connecting the printer to the router using the ethernet cable provided, but the router is not recognizing the connection.

After several calls to Samsung for assistance, they are telling me that the problem is the router and not the printer.  Is there a reason why the outer will not recognize the printer, and how can I correct this?  I am getting really frustrated!

0 Likes
Re: Router Will Not Recognize Ethernet Printer Connection
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Could be a lot of things...But first

Do you have a computer that is wired to the router?

If so, does it work ok. If it does, try swapping cables between the computer and printer. Does the problem follow the cable or stay with the printer? Also try swapping ports on the router between the computer and printer. If the problem stays with the printer, then the printer is the problem, no matter what Samsung says. If the problem follows the cable, the problem is the ethernet cable. If the problem stays in the port on the router, it could be a bad port.

These are the first steps I would take and then depending on the answers move on from there.

0 Likes
mmarty

I just switched the cables between the printer and the router, and the computer still connects but the printer won't. 

When I run the setup for the wireless printer (with a USB connecting the printer to the computer, as directed by the setup program) I get a message saying, "Setup failed to bring WLAN data from the selected printer.  The selected printer does not support wireless setting, so this printer cannot be connected with your computer wirelessly.Please select other connection types or other printers which support wireless setting."

It sure sounds like the printer is the problem, doesn't it?  Especially since the router still does not recognize the printer at all when it's connected.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

I may be confused here (not so unusual), BUT, try turning off the router FIRST, then [make sure the printer is OFF] connect the printer to the router via the ethernet cable SECOND, (leaving the computer NOT connected at all [turn it off]).  Then THIRD turn on the router and wait for the internet light to turn green before you do anything else.  After the internet light is green on the router, then turn on the printer and wait for it to tell you that it has connected to the router.      After you verify that the printer has connected to the router, then turn on the computer, which is connected to the printer via USB cable and run the wireless setup program again, on the computer.        NOTE that the wireless printer will have its' own SSID and security code (password) [if it is using one), that you will need to connect to, INSTEAD of the SSID that your wireless router may have.   There is even the possibility that you could connect to the printer via a wireless connection to your router, if you leave your printer connected to the router via an ethernet cable, but that is another story....  NOTE:  the usb ports on the verizon-supplied router DO NOT YET WORK.  Only the ethernet ports work.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

and just to reduce further delay, in case,   after you turn the router back on, but before you turn on the printer, go ahead and do a 'hard reset' to the router by pressing in and holding for 15 seconds the reset button on the back of the router, then wait for the internet light on the router to turn green, then turn on the printer.......

0 Likes
mmarty

Thank you for the step-by-step instructions.  I did each step just as described, and I still get the same error message when trying to install the wireless option.  I even went back and tried it after resetting the router, and still no luck.

Curiously, when connecting the printer to the router with the network cable after the reset, the green light on the router came on indicating it recognized that something was connected in the first slot.  However, the software install error was the same, and after connecting the computer to the router and accessing the router configuration program, the printer connection was not listed.

Sorry for the delay in response, but it has been a busy day of non-stop work and I am just now sitting down.

0 Likes
astro_guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does your printer offer you the option of configuring a fixed IP address vs. automatic address assignment via DHCP?  It almost sounds as if your printer is set to a fixed IP address outside of the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.  See if you can figure out how the wired ethernet port on the printer is configured and drop us another line.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

"Setup failed to bring WLAN data from the selected printer.  The selected printer does not support wireless setting, so this printer cannot be connected with your computer wirelessly.Please select other connection types or other printers which support wireless setting."

It sounds like your setup program is attempting is running a wireless setup. "WLAN" is wireless. See if the setup program has options for a hardwired connection.

0 Likes