Router automatically resetting
omghelpme

My FIOS router has been resetting itself all day. While I'm browsing a dialog pops up showing that my connection has been dissconnected. It will recconnect after a moment but, promptly resets itself again. This is very frustrating and any help would be appreiciated.

I have so far :

unplugged the router and plugged it back in

set it to the factory defaults through the advanced settings section

disabled automatic firmware updates, however due to it resetting itself i i think it reverts to being enabled

is this caused by a bugged firmware upgrade? does my router need replacing? I'm somewhat at a loss here.

0 Likes
Re: Router automatically resetting
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not sure, but I think I know why.

Small/tiny NAT Table of the router.

Points to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
omghelpme

In all honesty that wepage doesnt really make much sense to me, I am not computer illiterate, I just don't quite understand in what way it relates to my problem

Also I shoul've included this info in my original post :

Westell A90 - 9100EM15 - 10

HW- Rev A

original firmware - 1.02.00.03

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@omghelpme wrote:

In all honesty that wepage doesnt really make much sense to me, I am not computer illiterate, I just don't quite understand in what way it relates to my problem

Also I shoul've included this info in my original post :

Westell A90 - 9100EM15 - 10

HW- Rev A

original firmware - 1.02.00.03

What dslr595148 references is the fact the Network Address Translation Table my be causing issues if you are running Peer to Peer networking. Multi User online games or file sharing over the Internet.

Have you tried logging into your router and staying connected to the router when this happens? This may tell you if it is your Internet connection or router that keeps resetting. You would log into your router by entering 192.168.1.1 in your web browser with the user name of admin and password of password1 when prompted.

Are you using a wireless connection to your router?

0 Likes
MisterJefferson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Umm... he said his router was resetting, not link loss due to gaming or NAT or anything else.  Don't know why people are recommending that.

The only thing that comes to mind is a bad power supply.  The Westell calls for a 12V/1.5A power supply, and that's exactly what they provide -- 12V/1.5A so that thing will run hot and constant at a 100% duty cycle.  They're not made for that.  Bad design, but cost-effective.  It's therefore possible that the thing is cutting out or dropping voltage so low that the router resets.

If you're really industrious and don't want to wait for a tech to come to the house, you can get a 12V/1.5A DC power supply from radio shack (Cat #273-358). Take the original supply with you so you can buy/match up a connector plug, then configure it for a positive-tip.  Save the packaging so you can return it after you test your router.

0 Likes