Router blocks after IP Range has been changed
milou72

I am having issues with my A90-9100EM15-10.

I need to change my IP range from 192.168.1.1. to let's say 192.168.22.1 in order to connect to a company network via VPN. I use TheGreenBow IPsec Client for the VPN connection. All connections are wireless.

I changed the IP range on the router, restarted the whole system (including Settop Boxes). All my devices get IP's in the defined range, the Settop Boxes get IP like 192.168.22.100 , ...

Now ever since i did that, my router freezes every day about 2 times. All the lights on the router are green, however i cannot ping the router nor login. There is no recognizable pattern, it doesnt matter if i have all devices on, if i have vpn connection, download or even just have my blackberry online. 

I was dealing with verizon customer service, repair, and and and they are not really a help.

The last time i was told that i had to restore the default values as the settop boxes are required to have an ip from 192.168.1.100 ... and up and to wait and see if the problem is resolved. There might be a problem that the boxes do not have ip's like 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, and so forth.

I was supposed to be called back by the tech today, so far no call...

My questions are:

• did anyone in here have the same issues
  • Is it true that i cannot change the IP range without causing problems? I have broadband since over 10 years, and never had an issue like that before.
  • does anyone know a workaorund?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Router blocks after IP Range has been changed
prisaz
Legend

Is your WAN port through the COAX or do you have an Ethernet cable from your ONT to your WAN port?

If you have Ethernet to your wan port, you could use a different router not supported by Verizon. If not you would need to have Ethernet run from your ONT to the router location, and then have Verizon turn on Ethernet at the ONT. There are many different ways to configure this while still using the 9100 for the STB connection. But custom configurations will not be supported by Verizon.

Put it back to default and see if you continue to have issues. It may be something that just happened that is unrelated to your IP change. The router may have just started having issues. But if you run something different the default it is hard for them to troubleshoot.

I ran the Actiontec at 192.168.6.x for over a year and no issues. Now I can not say for the Westel 9100. My STBs are issued IPs from my DHCP server that is not a Verizon router and the WAN ports on the Verizon router are not even used. STBs get IPs at 192.168.6.100-106 based on MAC addresses, and works fine for the boxes. My router is a Linux PC box. No NAT table issues here, and yes it logs everything.

Do not expect any remote DVR features to work or any support from Verizon if you are running a custom setup. There are just too many variables for Verizon to support everything people would try and do. But as long as the STBs can hit the internet for guide and updates, all should work fine.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@milou72 wrote:

I am having issues with my A90-9100EM15-10.

Might be of use to see what errors show up inthe system log after one of those lockups.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The point where Verizon was telling you that the STB's must be on the 192.168.1.1 network is for their own support systems.

The STB's will work on another network, BUT Verizon will not support it. Meaning your on your own and if something is not working, you have to troubleshoot it your self. Verizon will insist that you change it back to their settings before they will address any issues.

Since you are running "custom" settings, that is going to be the first thing they think, your settings are the proble. Regardless if they are or not. Unfortunatly that is all your going to get from Verizon.

So here is the best source of help. The guys on this board are pretty good. Hopefully somone will have an idea.

0 Likes
milou72

went back and forth with support. i don't understand why ma LAN settings should have an effect, I'm connected to the OPNT via cabel. The router just went down again and the system log only shows entry from

Dec 31 19:00:26 2002   on and from when i reboot the router

any ideas?

thanks so much!

0 Likes
milou72

interesting to know.

the supporter i work with never mentioned this...

i can't work with the router blocking twice a day, so it seems i will have to cut my losses and go back to my old provider. too bad.

0 Likes