Router configuration completely messed up
vincentt

Some time in the last few days someone at Verizon messed up my router settings. I have my router set up to have internal address ranges from 192.168.5.xxx. At some point, someone went in and did something to my router. All my static DHCP leases (over 30) were wiped out. Also changed was the internal IP ranges for DHCP, from 192.168.5.xxx to 192.168.1.xxx (the default). The internal IP address of my router was NOT changed, and remained 192.168.5.1, so I know it wasn't due to a modem reset or firmware upgrade (firmware hasn't been updated in a long time). Is this normal to have someone at Verizon go in and mess with a routers settings? This is a huge pain to have to go in and recreate all my static leases.

Was mainenance done in the last few days to cause this?   Anyone else have this issue recently?

0 Likes
Re: Router configuration completely messed up
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I got an email stating that changed were being pushed out to routers that had not changed from the default wifi configurations.

Not sure if that would have affected anything else.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vincentt wrote:

Some time in the last few days someone at Verizon messed up my router settings. I have my router set up to have internal address ranges from 192.168.5.xxx. At some point, someone went in and did something to my router. All my static DHCP leases (over 30) were wiped out. Also changed was the internal IP ranges for DHCP, from 192.168.5.xxx to 192.168.1.xxx (the default). The internal IP address of my router was NOT changed, and remained 192.168.5.1, so I know it wasn't due to a modem reset or firmware upgrade (firmware hasn't been updated in a long time). Is this normal to have someone at Verizon go in and mess with a routers settings? This is a huge pain to have to go in and recreate all my static leases.

Was mainenance done in the last few days to cause this?   Anyone else have this issue recently?

Are you saying that Network (home/office) properties page says IP address 192.168.5.1 and then a few lines lower IP address distribution says 192.168.1.x to 192.168.1.x  mine actually says 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

What's in the mask value?

Not sure I understand how the routing for that can even work.

0 Likes
vincentt

You are correct, the routing doesn't work, that's how I discovered it was wrong.  My machines stopped connecting to the internet once the original DHCP leases (to 192.168.5.xxx) ran out.

0 Likes