Router constantly needs reset
mikecher

This problem started on Monday:

Every 4-6 hours my wireless internet goes out and I need to reset my router. I have checked with multiple devices (iPhone, other computers and it is out for all of them). After reset it works fine for another 4-6 hours and then disconnects. What can I do? I have a MI424WR router. Is there anything I can check or do I need a new router?

0 Likes
Re: Router constantly needs reset
Lee_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

The MI424WR utilizes frequency bands that some older cordless phones and baby monitors use. There are other devices that can interfere with the signal as well. Like cordless phones, the router has channels in the band it can use to broadcast on. Unlike most cordless phones which channel scan and change to the clearest channel, the router scans and locks in once during initialization (power up). If another device starts using the same channel the router has selected you could see this drop in connectivity. It would also explain why after a reboot things are OK for a while. This is by no means the only possible answer, but it's by far one of the more common ones. You can start investigating by powering down cordless phones, baby monitors, etc, for a test period. If all stays clear greater than the 6 hours, start adding devices back into the mix one by one until you find the culprit. In the event you have close neighbors, if it's their equipment doing it, that could pose an issue trying to isolate the interference.

Lee_vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

dmarcic1

I am having the same issue (same router model) which started a few weeks ago.   However I am sure it's NOT wireless interference since we have not added any new wireless devices to our home, also, directly wired computers to the router are affected also.   Furthermore the 'internet' light on  the  router also goes off.   Performing a power down cycle corrects the problem for a few days.   Any suggestions?  Does the router need replacing?

0 Likes
Zeppo2

Having the same problem. The only computer that doesn't seem to have the issue is my iMac, which is the one I use to manage the router. Even that one will lose it's connection on exiting the router until I reboot the computer.

Tried going through support. Guy worked with me for about 90 minutes, and did identify one problem with my setup. The IP addresses were distributed strangely with most of the Computers being in the same range as the coax devices (192,168,1.1nn). The tech said that they should have been assigned ranges in the 192.168.1.2 thru 99 range, with the devices over from 100 up being reserved for coax connections. I've tried to delete the entry from the network, releasing the IP address on the computer and rebooting both. The computer always grabs the same IP address.

The phone support guy couldn't figure it out, so he's sending me a new router. Hope that will help.

@dmarcic1 wrote:

I am having the same issue (same router model) which started a few weeks ago.   However I am sure it's NOT wireless interference since we have not added any new wireless devices to our home, also, directly wired computers to the router are affected also.   Furthermore the 'internet' light on  the  router also goes off.   Performing a power down cycle corrects the problem for a few days.   Any suggestions?  Does the router need replacing?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If your Internet light is going out, this means you are losing your connection from the router to the ONT. Regardless of what internal addresses you use, or wireless connection. The ONT is the large Verizon box. I would say have them ship a replacement router and if the problem continues, then it may be the ONT. But most likely the router. If it is not the router, they may ned to send a tech to replace the ONT. They do not replace those often.

Look and see if the router says rev. A, B, C, D, if it is a D or below, they may tell you not to send it back. The customer support center told me I would be required to send it back. A letter in the box told me not to bother since the one I had was obsolete. Before it started giving me trouble it was working but old.

paloma6479
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is your router connected to verizon via PPPoE or DHCP?  Mine is PPPoE and I was having similar problems.  Not sure if it will help or not, but here is the thread with my solution.  http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Intermittent-FIOS-Connection/td-p/454717

dev_ill

I am having the same issue after I upgraded my service to 50/25 and recieved a new router.  Not only I lose connection to the internet from ALL devices, I also lose LAN connection.  Therefore, it must be the router itself that is rebooting.  Please let me know what to do and if I can get a new router replacement.

0 Likes