Router doesn't connect to music server
gjcbuck1

I have a G1100 router with gigabit speed. I recently bought a music server which the router "sees" (I accessed My Network in router settings) but which does not appear in my PC's network (accessed through Control Panel). The server's tech support thinks the problem is that the router's Multicast setting is not enabled. I can't find that setting anywhere. Is there such a setting, and if so, how do I enable it? This is my second music server. I returned the first one, thinking the problem was with the server. It isn't.  Can someone help? 

0 Likes
Re: Router doesn't connect to music server
jonjones1
Legend

@gjcbuck wrote:

I have a G1100 router with gigabit speed. I recently bought a music server which the router "sees" (I accessed My Network in router settings) but which does not appear in my PC's network (accessed through Control Panel). The server's tech support thinks the problem is that the router's Multicast setting is not enabled. I can't find that setting anywhere. Is there such a setting, and if so, how do I enable it? This is my second music server. I returned the first one, thinking the problem was with the server. It isn't.  Can someone help? 

I don’t know what your tech support guy was referring to. However if you take any device and hook it into your network be it via cable or WiFi settings you must open the network sharing on the device. In my home if I use the Apple TV it shows devices I can access on the screen. On my laptops and desktops or tablets it shows a list of devices seen by my home network. I click on the one I desire and in some cases I have to enter a computer code to access that media server. 

Another good idea is to read your manual as to proper connection to your network.

if you are trying to hook this server via the USB ports on the Quantum you are out of luck. They do not allow connections.

0 Likes
gjcbuck1

Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned that I've perfromed all the networking sharing steps and double-checked them with no sucess. My router sees my music server, but windows does not. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@gjcbuck wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned that I've perfromed all the networking sharing steps and double-checked them with no sucess. My router sees my music server, but windows does not. 

Sorry I cannot think of something new. Normally opening opening windows media and file sharing on the pc allows you to view all media on your network.

you might want to check the windows forums.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check IPs of both the music server and the PC to make sure they are on the same network.

Can you ping music server from PC?

If the answer to both is yes, then I agree, check forums for the music server.