Router from 2.4 and 5
Stevek3102

I have router just installed and when I stream my TVs it only gives option for 2.4. On my phone it gives me both. Is the 5 faster?? Is there a reason why that is and does it matter. I always thought phones should be 2.4 and computer and TVs 5. Appreciate help with this. 

0 Likes
Re: Router from 2.4 and 5
jonjones1
Legend

@Stevek3102 wrote:

I have router just installed and when I stream my TVs it only gives option for 2.4. On my phone it gives me both. Is the 5 faster?? Is there a reason why that is and does it matter. I always thought phones should be 2.4 and computer and TVs 5. Appreciate help with this. 

Has nothing to do with the devices. Per se.

it has to do with the radios in the devices and the bands associated with them.

most phones and tablets have both 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands so you can choose the faster 5 Ghz band. But if the radio is not equipped with 5G then 2.4 Ghz is all that you can get.

most tv’s and dvd Blu Ray devices can be hooked directly via ethernet to the router for the fastest connect. However since it has that ability they normally come with WiFi at 2.4 Ghz.

hope that answered your question?

0 Likes
Re: Router from 2.4 and 5
Teamlean

May I also add that eventhough the 5 GHz band is faster, it does NOT penetrate walls and barriers as well as the 2.4 GHz band.  So it may or may not be faster depending on the signal strength between the router and the device (in your case TV or phone)

0 Likes