Re: Router keeps dropping internet connection
Mistaya
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have been with Fios around 3 weeks maybe a month. The day after the install of the bundle I woke up to no Internet. I contacted the installer and since he didn't pick up his phone, maybe doing another job, I contacted his boss who said he would get him to call me. He did fairly soon and talked me through how to reset their router. I have user knowledge on how to do these things but wasn't sure with a router/modem combo though it turned out to be the usual. The install was on Thursday and during the weekend it was common to lose it 2 times a day. I talked with their tech support and when he had me do a reset as soon as the first light went green he sent something through to the router because he saw something was not right with the router. It seemed to fix it for about a week, week 1/2. Now it is going down almost every day needing a reset. What I don't get is the router/ modem never shows it is having an issue but my IPad also pops up asking who I want to join when there are problems. This only happens to my laptop and IPad. My husbands laptop rarely goes down or it takes him a lot longer to lose it which is strange to me. I am starting to wonder if my wireless in the laptop is going bad but still does not explain my Ipad2 which is new.
0 Likes
tcmason

I am having the same problem. I called Verizon before Christmas and all the tech did was tweak my computer's connection with the router. I kept telling him my components do not lose connection with the router, and that it was the router or something on that side that kept losing connection with the internet. I call was so lengthy and frustrating I have not called back, but experience the problem at least once a day. Very frustrating. I am thinking of calling one more time and if the problem continues, switch to another company.

0 Likes
Koda1950

We have been having the exact same problem! It started about a week ago where internet was in and out. I thought it might be the latest Mac operating system (Mountain Lion), but that theory didn't pan out. My mother and I both have Macs, and I took my system to my boyfriends and have been able to work online without any issues.

Earlier in the week, we upgraded from cablecard to STB (HD DVR) box couldn't get activated, tech came out the next day and replaced the router with the new (red) one (sorry don't know the model). Things were ok for a short while, then same thing. Internet connection just drops in and out.

The problem is, my mother works from home and has not been able to work at all. She has to log in to systems remotely, so she is able in spurts to get into the system and pray that she can do one or two things before it disconnects.

She's called support three times at this point. They walk her through the usual resets, etc. This last time they suggested downloaded some optimizer for the Mac (did nothing). Not too long ago, someone called and was extremely patronizing. Told my mother that everything appears fine, and that they are very sorry but no tech can come out until at least tomorrow. Just rude and patronizing and could care less.

It's frustrating beyond belief!

0 Likes
Status changed to: Resolved
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We have not received a response in reference to your issue. Please repost if you are still experiencing a problem.

Tonya D.

0 Likes
David4788

I to have had the same issue for over a year. FIOS sent me a new router and I still have the problem...not sure what else to do. Getting very frustrated.

0 Likes
20194GUY

We have been running into the exact same issue here. Verizon replaced the router, but it still continues to drop connection every few hours. I do a hard restart on the router and it comes back... for another few hours. I've checked all my settings on this end over and over. Tried switching MoCa to ethernet..still happening. I'm getting sick of the overly preening overseas customer service reps. I would simply like to get it fixed! We have been talking about going to comcast and this may be the impetus.

0 Likes
thedude123

I had the same exact problem.  Turns out that the amplifier I was using wasn't compatible with MOCA.  {word filter avoidance} Once I switched it, the signal dropping stopped.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes
sting454

My first week with Fios. My M1424Wr router drops internet connection. All lights are lit just not blinking. After I switch it off and then back on everything is fine. If I stop using my computer, turn it off and the come back a few hours later.. No internet again. The problem is getting worse and doing it more than 2 times a day now. I called tech support and they are sending me a new router. Hopefully this is end this problem. If not I will think about cancelling this service. I never lost a connection with cable.

0 Likes
mnk11

i have the same issue. the moment i have more than 3 devices connected all/most connections get dropped. I have to turn off something - usually a wireless printer or my smarthone and power off -> power on the router itself.

Verizon Rep - please advise? Judging from this thread the verizonf branded hardware is incapable of handling more than just a couple of devices.

Is my only option to buy NETGEAR WiFi and put it in front of the router?

thanks

0 Likes
SolutionPlease

I've exactly the same problem. Wonder if someone found a soultion????

At this point the FIOS is unusable for Work From Home purposes.

0 Likes